MSI neo plat bad design

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rikky, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'd really appriciate anyones input on this,Thanks ;)

I'v have recently took my a64 system apart and started to install some much needed cooling,the problem I have noticed is the temp on the cpu was too high and also video card,3500 winchester 939,6800gt its in my sig.The mobo is an nforce 3 939 msi neo plat 2,what I have noticed different about this mobo is the cpu socket its twisted 90 degrees so hot air from the heatsink is blown directly up towards the memory or down towards the vid card.I didnt think anything of it untill my fx5700 started buzzing last night,so I took it out and stuck the 6800gt in and to my suprise with only one case fan in my old box idles at 52 compared to 60 when its along side the a64.

I also think the warm air was deflecting off the card and memory and being sucked back in again by the cpu fan,recirulating already warm air.To test I stuck a paper duct around the hsf to stop it sucking the warm air and cool and quite instantly brought the speed of the fan down A LOT.

I'm not really sure what to do even if I duct the cpu it will still blow warm air on the back of the card and memory,if I flip the fan i dont like clearance between the memory and 6800,I think it will still suck warm air,I'v just spent £22 on this akasa hsf so I'd rather not buy another,I think most of them are the same way round anyway.

I'd love know of anyone who has heard of this,has the same stuff or any ideas,I'm gonna have about 6 case fans so I dont think it will be a problem,its just bugging me that such a simple design fault could have been made

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the clearance-with and without the heatsink,note how close it would be if vid card was there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Rikky

here's how much clearance between the memory-Yeh and I was the first to have these parts 8 years ago.lol

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you might try moving the memory from DIMM1+2 to 3+4

can you install it horizontally so it's blowing the hot air off to the right and left?

btw does your hsf fan have heatpipes?

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Check out my sig, I basically have the same pc as you and my ambient temp is 28c and my cpu temp is 28-30c idle (which is oc'd by 300mhz). My 6800GT's idle core temp is 45C. On my a64 I have a venus 12+ heat sink, on my 6800 I have the NV silencer5. I think it has to deal with case design, as I had a smaller ATX tower and now I purchased this Aerocool spiral galaxy which has extremely improved airflow (including a 120mm wind tunnel) but can be a problem when it comes to cable lengths; as I had to purchase a new PSU.

Also note that in this case I only have 3 fans, 2x120mm fans and 1x80mm fan; one 120mm and the 80mm bring in cool air from outside the front case and the 120mm in the back removes hot air. Also the NVsilencer 5 fan removes hot air from the inside and chucks it outside.

edit: moving dual chann to dimm 3/4 is a bad idea specifically for this board.

5. Olley

Olley Sergeant

that mobo looks really cramped!
    i would also suggest to move the rams over to the edge it might make a small difference in airflow and the temps on your rams will probably reduce too... unless u experience any problems like omega said, but i think its worth a try..

how are the rest of your fans alligned and which size are they? a pic of inside your case would be helpful.. getting rid of cable clutter can also make a big difference, as you probably know...

6. Rikky

Olley hows this for clear cable clutter,this was a coolermaster cavalier 3 a few days ago,its slowly morphing into a wind tunnel,thats two 120mmintakes at the bottom blowing straight at the gt,I might not put my audigy in depending how much it gets in the way,a 120mm intake at the front,a 120mm exaust at the back,an 120mm blower on the top,it started with an 80 at the front,an 120 with a grill at the back that I cut away for better airflow,its all gonna be controlled with th aerogate 1,and a seperate Rheostat for the cpu,this still doesnt get past the recirculating of warm air back through the heatsink,Im just gonna try and blow through it,I was thinking of maybe a heatshield to protect the 6800 and ram from the warm air from the hsf,all the cables will be routed behind the mobo tray so they arnt a factor.

Omeg,what are the chances of getting an rma on your card?I havnt looked properly at mine to find any void warranty tabs,I'v been thinking about the nv5 for a while,I'm gonna have to research how nice sparkle are at rma'ing

Pirate,no I cant flip it 90 degrees,not with this mounting bracket and I havnt seen any different,if only,it just seems so simple for them to sell it twisted 90 degree's,the way it is,its hard to get good bottom-top air flow and impossible to get front-back.

I think it might be watercooling from now on

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

RMA? or warrenty? Its got lifetime warrenty and 24hr tech support thx to bfg [​IMG]
    Anyways i reccommend moving out of that medium sized atx into a full size ATX, you want the air on your cpu/ram, not so much on the vid card.

Also if your cutting and sticking a million diff fans on it, chances are you are creating negative or positive air flows which are both bad.

8. Rikky

I meant,because you have removed the aftermarket hsf will they be able to know once you have replaced the original and tried to get a replacement.The size of the case makes no difference since the air will be moving through it,its a pure gaming pc anyway just one each of the basic components,apart from a floppy to keep heat to a minimum.

It may look like I have just stuck fans anywhere I can fit them but I have planned it out,the air flow will be bottom front to top rear,I will be able to control the speed of all the fans with the aerogate to balance the flow and make sure little of the cold air is blown straight back out,this will also give me control of the pressure inside the case to get it balanced.

9. Den

Den Private First Class

Check this out. It blows air from the side of the hs directly toward the rear case fan not directly down onto the board. The fan can be positioned on either side of the hs. It fits my neo4 plat. And I am sure it will fit your board too. Excelent cooling and absolutely quiet.
    $ 29.00 -can probably be found cheaper.
    http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2650&cat=169&page=1
    Den

10. Olley

Olley Sergeant

hey rickky,
    "The size of the case makes no difference since the air will be moving through it" i dont actually think you are correct with this.. cause the smaller the case the closer are all the components, including case walls, therefore they heat up much more vs if the case was big the parts would be insulated by more air (, which is moving the heat away,) and the case itself and the parts wont heat up as much... = better cooling with larger case... also, i dont think u need to worry about airpressure in ur case.. it wont be anyhigher than in ur room no matter how many fans u install...and the fan controlers in my opinion are only good for turning down the noise when less cooling is needed... thas what i use it for anyways...one thing that can greatly change your ambient temp is if you turn around the fan in your psu. by turn around i mean that u should set it so that it sucks the air out of the case instead of into it as most psu do.. but watch out when doing this, u can kill urself even after the psu has been disconnected and u wouldnt want it to overheat as a result...

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I never heard any good reviews of that hsf, and there hasn't been much in the way of meddage board hype either ... at least none that I've heard ... Thermalright XP90/90c/120 are the best bet, excellent reviews and everyone that owns one loves them .. including me :D

12. Rikky

Thanks den thats exactly the kind of thing I was looking for,but the thermalright xp 90 is a far better heatsink,I wanted to buy one instead of this akasa but with delivery it came to £40 as apposed to £20 for the akasa and I could pick it up for free,I should have followed my own advice on buying quality over price.After looking at a few reviews it looks as though on "normal" mobos the xp 90's fins are vertical,so on mine they should be horizontal that would be perfect one of the best coolers the right way round.

olley I have to disagree with you on that,if you imagine all of the air inside the case as one chunk of warm air and measure how long it takes for the fans to remove that warm air and replace it with cold air,the larger the case the more air the fan has to move,therefore the less cooling will be provided.You could think of it on a larger scale,an air conditioning system built for a single room wouldnt be able to cool down a full house,because of the amount of air it will have to move is to great.Also atx psu's all suck air out of the top they have to have an atx license,btx psu's suck in air from the bottom,I have also changed many psu fans the safest way is to unhook it completely and to bridge the green wire on the mobo plug,this will fire the psu up for a second,and completely drain the caps.

I have seen many sites argue the high pressure,low pressure argument,I'm going with my own theory,if you have low pressure your definitely sucking cool room air in through any gaps in your case,if the pressure is higher,you could be losing cool air,before it has cooled anything down.

13. Rikky

one last thing,the control of the air is very important in my setup,cool air will be brought up from the bottom when it gets half way,the fan at he rear of the case must have the power to suck the cool air past the cpu,to stop it being sucked straight out of the blowhole at the top. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds