MSN MESSENGER (msmsgs.exe)

Discussion in 'Software' started by simoesj007, Apr 19, 2005.

1. simoesj007

simoesj007 Private E-2

Everytime i boot up the computer i look in the task manager and this (msmsgs.exe) sits there eating away at 6+ Mb!

Even after I "End Process" it will load itself back up, i'm clueless on how to stop it. But after doing a bit of research i came across this:

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/msmsgs/index.php

Can I get an explanation for this? And how to remove it?

2. MJames23

MJames23 Private First Class

Run MSN Messenger, then go to Tools, Options, Preferences, and uncheck "Run Windows Messenger When Windows Starts." That's the only way I was able to stop it from being added to the startup registry, etc. Same thing with AIM. Even after I blocked the startup or deselected it in msconfig, when I ran msmgs.exe it would reload itself back into the startup registry. However, by performing the above steps, I was able to take care of the problem.

3. MJames23

Actually that procedure was for Windows Messenger, but I'm sure it would work for MSN Messenger as well, or maybe you are actually talking about Windows Messenger, because msmsgs.exe is the program running Win Messenger on my computer.

4. MJames23

5. simoesj007

simoesj007 Private E-2

Great, thx a lot! It is Windows messenger, and i did have the auto startup upon windows boot up UNCHECKED. I had to edit the registry keys to disable it.

Thanks for the link!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds