MSPaint Gone Missing...

Discussion in 'Software' started by LadyYepperz, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyYepperz

LadyYepperz Private E-2

*sigh*... had sum beasties on my pc... they are gone now...
    but so is my MSPaint & all my preinstalled windows games. i.e. solitaire, freecell, etc.

No.. i dont have an XP disk.

does anyone know a way to reinstall these programs other then poppin the cd?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Are you sure they're gone or is it that you can't access them like you used to be able to? Go to C:\Windows\System32 and look for 'em in there. Solitaire is sol.exe and hearts is mshearts.exe and Paint is mspaint.exe. Freecell is freecell.exe, minesweeper is winmine.exe, spider solitaire is spider.exe. The only one that isn't in the System32 folder is the pinball game. That's in C:\Program Files\WindowsNT\Pinball\PINBALL.EXE (there's about 20 or 30 other files needed to play pinball). So, check to see if the actual files are still there. If they are, you can right click each one, go to "Send to" and select "Desktop (create shortcut)" and there will be a shortcut on your desktop for direct access. If they indeed totally gone, I'm sure we can figure out a way to upload 'em to you. Good luck! Let us know what's going on and if we can help you further....

[dlb]

(I figured I'd save some time... I gathered them all into a folder and zipped it and attached it here. Pinball isn't included due to size limits. You can simply unzip the folder and copy the files to the System32 folder, or just leave the folder on your desktop and run 'em from there. I hope this helps!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

First, I'd see whether they can be reinstalled by going to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and selecting Windows Components (on the left side of the Add or Remove Programs panel). That's where things like Paint, card games, etc., can be removed or added to your desktop.

If that shows that Paint and the games are installed, try unchecking the box next to them and click Apply/OK as though you were removing them, and then open the panel again and select those items for installation.

If this doesn't work, follow dlb's advice.

4. LadyYepperz

LadyYepperz Private E-2

Thanks dlb...
    replacing the exes worked perfectly... everything is back where it belongs except for pinball... all the files except for the exe are gone... thats ok.. i never played that game any way

usa... your way involves the cd which i dont own. thanx for your reply tho

i just realize wordpad is gone too... help!
    is that file suppose to be located in the same folder as notepad? if it is... its not there.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive Glad I could help! :-D

[dlb]

6. marbear36

marbear36 Private E-2

Oh my gosh, thank you so much dlb!! :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds