mulstiple installations of XP on one hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Twisthem488, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Twisthem488

Twisthem488 Private E-2

Well, it seems I am back. I just started a thread in the hardware section about my hard drive that wont allow computer to boot, and corrupts NTLDR. To fix this I ran through my XP CD in hopes of reparing NTLDR, and it did. The weird thing is that it also installed a second copy of XP on my normal hard drive, and in the same partition. Last time I turned it on I was sent to my old copy of XP, but when i restarted a few minutes ago, it sent to the new installation, and again after another attempt to retrieve my old xp.

My C drive has Windows, and Windows.0 in it. What I would like to do is get rid of Windows.0, because it is the brand new installation that has none of my drivers and settings already up. I dont know what allowed me to boot to the old version earlier, but that's what I would like to be happening.

*feeling like an idiot*
    Joseph

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

3. Twisthem488

Twisthem488 Private E-2

Thanks for the response chaimjm. I have some questions on how to do that.

Currently by boot file is as follows.
    I have a Windows, and a Windows.0 on my D drive. Just to reitterate, I would like to get rid of the Windows.0, and boot to Windows.

The website you linked says
    I dont know what to add for the boot entry ID, because the original Windows isn't listed, only Windows.0

How would I go about deleting the new Windows files once I get boot set up. I have a feeling they are going to be locked...

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

From your boot file it looks like the recovery that you ran was not totally successful, your boot file should look like this
    Try changing it, but I think you may have to run the recovery again let me know if it works and if not I will post the procedure for running the recovery.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  5. Twisthem488

Twisthem488 Private E-2

Re: multiple installations of XP on one hard drive

Thanks for all your help chaimjm!

I got impatient and needed to work on school stuff. I figured If I would have to reinstall all my adobe products again anyway, (to work on the new installation until I figure out how to boot the old) then I might as well go ahead and do a clean install of XP to. Luckily, when I built the machine I saved all my drivers and the exe/iso from my CD's to another hard drive, so getting everything working again only took about 20 minutes. I also downloaded a backup of my D drive with a trial version of Acronis, so that if anything like this happens again I can just run from the ghost image.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds