Multi-Monitor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Seether21, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Seether21

Seether21 Private First Class

I was wondering if there is a way or a problem that would let me run 2 desktops instead of a extended screen with dual monitors. My reasons for wanting to do this is because one monitor is 1440 by 900 and the other is 1024 by 768 and it looks bad when I have something on both. I also want a the start menu on my other monitor for then I am playing a game. the one MMORPG i play changes my 1440 by 900 monitor to 1024 by 768 and it looks crappy and when i exit it is still 1024 by 768. It would also be cool if the problem would let me set up different wallpapers and different screen savers.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Tell us more about your computer. Is this a desktop or laptop? What video card do you have?

3. Seether21

Seether21 Private First Class

its is a desktop and has a RADEON 9200 SERIES video card

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You can try http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ but it sounds more like you want 2 pcs (one on each monitor) which can be done by running a virtual machine full screen on the other screen. VM's are not for gaming but fine for usual tasks.
    With sharing you can pass files between them too.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I've been using nVidia cards for a long time, so I don't know for sure what capabilities you should have with the RADEON 9200 but I would bet it will support dual monitors, meaning 2 desktops instead of just an extended screen. So, I suspect you may have the capability but you haven't found how to enable it.

Have you explored all features availabe when you right click on your desktop and select Properties to open the Display Properties panel? And, don't you have an ATI icon in your Control Panel that you can open and use to enable various features?

Re: the question of moving the taskbar to the other monitor, can you reversed the way the monitors are connected to your computer? Or, can you change the assignment of monitors, i.e. #1 and #2, via your display settings, thereby making the other monitor the primary monitor? If not, then the http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/ product foogoo mentioned is an option for achieving that objective.

With my nVidia card, I can set up different wallpapers on each monitor. I don't know whether you can do the same but I would think so.

You might peruse some of the findings at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dual+monitors+with+RADEON+9200&aq=f&oq= for additional info.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds