Multimedia Audio Controller (yellow question mark)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Beatlemanic, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

Hi,

I have no sound and Multimedia Audio Controller shows a yellow question mark in device manager.
    Please help find the correct driver (chipset?).
    Attached is my Report.txt from Speccy.
    Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    From your report, you have a Dell computer. On the computer should be a service tag.

Desktop or Workstation: On the back or on the side panel.
    Portables: On the bottom of the system. For Latitude LM systems, the Service Tag is located under the plastic cover on the rear of the system, next to the docking station connector.

From that you can go to the Dell Support Page ,enter your service tag number, and then download your audio driver.

3. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

Seems the drivers can't be downloaded without Microsoft .NET Framework.

4. tgell

What is the service tag of your computer. You can PM it to me if you do not want to post it. If it is small enough I can download the driver and upload it here for you.

5. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I downloaded the Microsoft .NET Framework including several updates, and still can't get anywhere.:banghead

I'll take you up on the offer and pm the service tag.
    Thanks..

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think Dell gives two options of download. Perhaps if you choose download via browser (the second choice) you don't need DotNet installed.

7. tgell

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  8. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

After clicking on the download links a thousand times I finally got the file through Microsoft .Net Framework. But I had a feeling it wouldn't do the trick anyway since I'm not using the onboard sound card. I've had that uninstalled for a while and had been using an external card, which was working fine until I unplugged the usb cable so I could look at the card....Reinstalled the drivers for that card but nothing..

9. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

I don't see Multimedia Audio Controller or any yellow question marks in device manager anymore, but yeah, still no sound.
    The sound card appears to be working, so I have no other ideas.

10. Beatlemanic

Beatlemanic Private E-2

Working now...Sound card was unplugged..Still doesn't explain the problem in device manager...the yellow question mark was resolved even with sound card unplugged.

11. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds