Multiple Copies of a Program? Browser?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Meekiecheese, May 18, 2015.

1. Meekiecheese

Meekiecheese Private First Class

Every time I've updated FF, I've lost data like my History and Bookmarks. Even when I tried to backup Bookmarks, sometimes it didn't seem to work well. It always seems to wipe out the history (which I need for research and the way I work and surf). So, is it possible to install a program twice as 2 separate programs, especially so that two people can have their own separate copies of the browser or other programs? Hope that made sense. :) :-o

Also, I forgot how I did it before, but how do i get to the "detailed" page in FF or PM to tweak the settings? I know it's something really simple, but I just can't remember. Thanks!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

How are you updating Firefox? What you describe should not happen. It certainly has never happened to me, and I've used FF for years.

4. Meekiecheese

Meekiecheese Private First Class

satrow - about.config was what I couldn't remember, thank you. I would update whenever FF said it had a newer version and it would wipe out my history and once, something strange happened to my bookmarks (I may have gotten some bad advice about that, it happened a while ago). Thanks again, I really appreciate the help! :)

C0rhHusk3r - just the usual way when FF says it has an update. I stopped updating when I had these problems, but I really need to update soon. Thanks.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Download Firefox manually, once the download is completed, (Alt) File > Exit the browser and use Ctrl+Alt+ESC to call up Task Manager > Processes tab and check that the Firefox process is gone, once you're sure it's really closed, open up your downloads folder in Windows Explorer and run the new Firefox to update.

Don't forget to update Flash regularly as well if you use it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds