Multiple iexplore.exe processes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stuart_, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Stuart_

Stuart_ Private E-2

I have an issue where multiple "iexplore.exe" processes appear in Task Manager when cause my screen to freeze. I will be able to click on running processes on the task bar, but when I try minimize them they will stay on the back and overlap with other programs I have opened.

The only way I can stop this from happening is by opening Task Manager, navigating to the "Processes" tab and right-clicking on "iexplore.exe" (there is several duplicates of it running) and clicking on "End Process Tree."

It also occurs when I use Google Chrome (because I downloaded it to check) but it does not do it for Mozilla Firefox.

This will occur even when Internet Explorer 8 is not running.

I did primarily post this in the Malware section, but they could not solve the problem (though they were very helpful):
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=214885

Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

With one I.E. window open, I have two iexplore.exe's running. This is typical. You may wish to try uninstalling IE and after running CCLeaner, re-install it and see if that helps.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You still have a pretty long list of start up programs, from your last HJT log.

I'd get Winpatrol from HERE and start disabling these.

You don't need adobe or any printer programs running, these will work fine when called for. I've specifically seen itune autorun clog things up. Soundman is also unneeded. I'd also disable the filehippo and messenger programs. You can always reenable if they are needed, which they are not.

In my winpatrol, I have three items under the startup tab, not including the hidden ones. :wave:wave:wave

4. Stuart_

Stuart_ Private E-2

It is a problem with Internet Explorer 8 (and Chrome, as it seems) freezing my computer when I open it up then close it down.

I have disabled about 8 programs from Windows start-up like you have said, and I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 and it seems to be running fine at the moment, after uninstalling it.

5. Stuart_

Stuart_ Private E-2

Sorry to double post so quickly, but I could not edit my previous post.

I just closed Internet Explorer down (not 8, whatever version is installed when I deleted 8) and it froze.

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You probably reverted to ver. 7.
    In any case, go to tools, manage add-ons. Turn off or disable these. You can also go to start>accessories>system tools>internet explorer (no add-ons) and see how that works for you. I'd also uninstall any tool bars you have from add/remove programs. All these things together can slow/freeze browsers. It is hard to identify exactly what is doing it, but it is easy to just disable/uninstall this stuff to get a "cleaner" machine. :wave

7. Stuart_

Stuart_ Private E-2

I have done this and the problem still persists.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and choose Safe Mode with Networking and see if IE or Chrome freezes yoru PC still?

With 3rd party addons disabled in IE as you would have by running the no-addons mode, its now likely to be a 3rd party application and suspects are security apps, so to test uninstall SPybot S&D and AVG, reboot and test your internet with IE and Chrome.

BTW what version of IE are you at now since removing IE8?
    You dont have any p2p apps running in the background do you?

9. Stuart_

Stuart_ Private E-2

I have Internet Explorer 7 at the moment.
    I have uTorrent running, but it got disabled (when I posted in the Malware section) and it didn't make a difference.

I will do as you have said and post back in about 10 minutes with feedback.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds