Multiple IP address DSL account

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nmfire10, Feb 28, 2005.

1. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

I can't find a single person at the phone company who can answer these questions.

We have a commercial DSL account that gives 5 static IP addresses. Obviously, one of them is being used by the router connected to the modem. How prey-tell do we use the other 4?

2. RickM

RickM Private First Class

You may have to assign them statically. Ask your providor if they use DHCP or not. If they do not then ask them for your default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS. They should be able to provide those. Once you get the answer, we will take it from there.

3. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

I can get the list of IP's easily. But I don't understand how you can use them if you only have ONE modem?

4. RickM

The modem is just your connection. I assume you already have one PC connected directly to the modem and of course you only have one port to plug one PC into. If they give you five addresses then there are two options. The first is the simplest, buy a 4-port hub and connect it to the DSL modem and then your PC's to the hub. This will give you more ports for more PC's. The second is to buy a Cable/DSL router, most have built in ports and wireless as well. Its a bit more money but has more functionality. Both will work fine, it really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

5. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

Maybe it would be easier to say what I want to do.

One phone line with one DSL modem. Two routers need to be connected to the modem and I can not just chain the routers together. So your saying I can put a hub on the modem and put the two routers on the hub?? How would the PPPoE connect since they would both be trying to connect? Or would I have one router do the PPPoE and the other just look for that IP and not try to connect the modem?

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If the few IPs share the same bandwidth and you use a Router to share and create a cohesive Network, then the only use for the extra is in case you need to put an Extra computer directly on the Internet separate from the rest of the Network.

Otherwise it just a psychological problem to let go of something that is free and Not useful.

:D

7. RickM

I have to agree with Cat5e, I still dont understand what you are trying to do. I know what you say you want to do, but what do you gain?

8. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

I have two seperate routers that I need to connect to this modem. That's the simple explanation.

9. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Connect a switch to the DSL modem. Connect the routers to the switch. Program the routers with the proper IP, subnet, and so on.

The only question is if the DSL company is allowing mutiple logins through the single modem? If so set each router with your user id and password and to connect through PPoE.

10. RickM

I guess what we are asking is why? Nothing is keeping your from going from the DSL modem to router1 (WAN/Internet) port, then Ethernet from router1 to (WAN/Internet) port. I have Vonage IP phone service that I have 2 routers in that configuration.

11. nmfire10

nmfire10 Private E-2

I have found out more in the last day or so and it explains why this doesn't work right for me.

SBC uses "sticky" static IP's based on your PPPoE login. I can't just put routers on a switch connected to the modem, it won't do jack. Apparently, I need one of these modem/router combos that will handle multiple fixed IP's. Grrrrr.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds