Multiple Issues 100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by jerrygl, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

I have an older e-machines T-1600 computer. It has been stellar in reliability till recently. I am running win XP-SP3 on it.. Some time ago it started acting sluggish. Using the task manager. It seemed that the problem was with the anti-virus program (AVG) So, I uninstalled that, and tried Avira free which seemed to be a bit better but still pegged the CPU at 100% whenever I was browsing or opening programs. I removed that one, and tried installing MSE figuring that microsoft would know best for their operating system, but could not install it, receiving an error message stating that I had not removed all of my previous anti-virus programs. I tried various uninstallers to no avail. I ran multiple malware scans to no avail as well. I am still stumped as I cannot do anything without the CPU pegging at 100% for extended periods. Oh, and my restore disk is unreadable as well so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance....

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

3. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

AVG Remover
    http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_Remover_d7000.html
    Avira RegistryCleaner
    http://www.avira.com/en/downloads#tools

4. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Do you experience the same sluggish behaviour browsing files and 100% CPU etc if you boot into 'Safe mode' or 'Safe mode with networking'?

5. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Tried all this... and from what I remember, the slowdown is when I open IE, That is the process using the most resources. BUT so does Firefox and or opera also....

6. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Thank you, What is the best way for me to post the processes? Should I write them down or is there a way for me to get a list or snapshot of them?

7. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Hmmm, that is a good question, I should remember that. I will try that and report back in awhile.

8. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

From what I can remember, I tried all of the uninstallers. I will however try the two you linked me to. I believe that the problem was with AOL. There was a time that AOL integrated an antivirus (maybe Mc Affee) with their AOL email software. and this is what MSE is picking up. I went into the registry and found various instances of the old AOL program still there even after uninstall but couldn't seem to identify (safely) the culprit.
    I will let you know the results of the two AV uninstallers.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. MadMal

MadMal Corporal

There is a very good WikiHow tutorial on taking screenshots it includes 2 methods depending on your Operating System
    The Snipping tool method works with all Windows Vista versions except Windows Vista Starter and Windows Vista Home Basic, and with Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate. For other versions of Windows, use the Print Screen method
    The Print Screen method works on all Windows versions from Windows 95 up to Windows 7

How to Take a Screenshot in Microsoft Windows
    http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows#Print_Screen_Method

There is an attachment size restriction of 97.7 KB so if the image is more than that you will need to reduce it. The first thing you should do is convert it to JPG format and see if it is 97.7 KB or less
    Change a picture's file type (file format) using Paint (Ignore the Silverlight install)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-a-pictures-file-type-file-format-using-Paint

If it is still too big then you will need to resize it
    Resize a picture using Paint
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

When the screenshot is ready to post click on Manage Attachments under the Reply box
    Click on Browse and select the image on your computer
    Click on Upload
    When the upload has finished click on Close this window
    You should see the image name above the Manage Attachments button you clicked before

Remember, you must write something in the Reply box
    Click on Preview Post to see if it all looks ok
    Click on Submit Reply

11. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just for giggles, see what the process NT Kernal & System is using...

12. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

I am sorry but do not see these two processes in task manager. Where would I find them?

13. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

click Show processes from all users at the bottom of the task manager. Should show up near the bottom in the description column. It is one process.

14. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

OK, I ran Mr. Tech AOL Cleaner courtesy a post on the major geek forum seems to have completed sucessfully
    AVG uninstaller completed OK
    MCPR uninstaller seems to have completed sucessfully
    However avira registry tool gave an error message as follows:
    "regcleaner.exe"
    "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem"

In response to another post to my question, I noticed in the services that there were four services that I do not need.
    1. Avira antivir scheduler
    2. two google update services
    3. AcrSch2Svc (some acronis scheduling service)

and finally I am attaching a copy of my running processes. The slowdown seems be most prevelant when using IE.

Attached Files:

15. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

I am running IE in safe mode now. Task manager is much improved but still on occasion will peg 100% particularily if there is a lot of graphics on the webpage.

16. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Ok guys (gals), whoever is following this, I have been really bored while waiting for some assistance here. So I did what every good geek would do, I dove into regedit! Well, Actually, I first booted into safe mode and tested to see if while browsing that the cpu would stay below 100% and it did at first seem to be a bit better, but I really cannot say until I actually use the computer in normal mode. While I was in safe mode, I figured that I might as well run another mbam scan on my system and lo and behold I had somekind of malware that when removed prevented me from exiting safe mode. The screen looked normal except for the coloring and that certain functions would not work same as if I was actually in safe mode. I then searched this forum and found something similar. The remedy apparently was to go to regedit and search for "safemode" , removing all keys that were named "option" After rebooting everything seems fine.
    The malware problem really bothered me, so after running all of the antivirus uninstallers as suggested by Mad Mal with no luck, back to regedit I went and decided to manually search for some of the antivirus strings I had installed previously. Avira was the culprit as there were many entries that were not removed because the cleanup tool would not complete without an error message. I deleted them all and for good measure tried AVG, Avast and Clamwin as well. There were a few misc entries. I then tried and successfully installed MSE!!!! Yay, what a great feeling knowing that my machine has a functioning antivirus program.
    I felt so good that I had done all the registry work and my computer still booted :)
    that I decided to do something about a couple of programs that were running services...namely google update service. They were a bit tough to get rid of but I finally succeeded. My computer seems a bit better now but I still have work to do on completely removing a failed Epson workforce printer installation. Wish me luck.

17. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Update:
    XP deems to be working properly now EXCEPT that it takes almost 5 minutes to load a web page like AOL, and or to move between pages. The two offending processes are MsMpEng.exe and iexplore.exe. Usually it is the MsMpEng.exe program taking 98% of my CPU time but occasionally it splits the cycle tim with iexplore. Any ideas?

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

That's Windows Defender. If it is using excessive CPU it indicates a conflict with security programs. You probably still have remnants of av on your computer.
    See if it is listed in Add/Remove Programs (XP). It can't be uninstalled from later versions of Windows.

19. jerrygl

jerrygl Private E-2

Thanks, It is not listed but got me thinking... I DID have at one time both Windows defender and One Care on this computer. They were both supposedly uninstalled but I will check for remmenants of them. MSSE also uses the MsMpEng.exe program as well. So I will see.... Microsoft swears in some of their forums that the only reason for the excessive cpu usage is if there is a conflict with either another or past antimalware program.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds