Multiple OS problem when booting windows 2000

Discussion in 'Software' started by pjwitort, Dec 18, 2004.

1. pjwitort

pjwitort Private E-2

Great to see such a helpful community; this is my first posting.

I have an IBM 600 (6 yrs old) that, over the years, has been upgraded to windows 2000. The problem is that it was apparently upgraded twice and each time it boots I need to choose which OS to use. Here are the choices:

Windows 2000 Professional
    Windows 2000 Professional
    MS-DOS

The problem is that unless I am right there and attentive, the choice defaults to the top one and, as luck would have it, the second one is the one I need as it has all my user software installed with it.

Question:
    is there some way to cleanly get rid of items 1 and 3 above so the machine boots to the middle one automatically?

-barring that, is there a way to default to the second one automatically?

thanks,

paul

2. celebration.of.being

celebration.of.being Private First Class

k.....try n i hope they work for u
    a.Go to start menu n then search for the file BOOT.INI
    b.Open the file in notepad
    c.U will c all the options u see when ur pc boots...delete the options u
    don want to b dere..Reboot!!!!!!!

3. celebration.of.being

k.....try n i hope they work for u
    a.Go to start menu n then search for the file BOOT.INI
    b.Open the file in notepad
    c.U will c all the options u see when ur pc boots...delete the options u
    don want to b dere..Reboot!!!!!!!
    .................................................n yeah jus to tell u.....the file is hidden generally..so firstly go to
    1.TOOL (on the menu bar on the explorer window)
    2.FOLDER OPTIONS
    3.VIEW
    4.sHOW HIDDEN FILES...
    ................................................IF ur OS is in c drive the generally u will find dat file in c drive only.......write back if this doesnt work..am using XP so kinda out of touch with 2000..

4. pjwitort

pjwitort Private E-2

Re: Multiple OS problem when booting windows 2000-not solved yet

thanks for the info, but I am not there yet:

original:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\=MS-DOS

I then changed the file to :

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    [C:\=MS-DOS ]

THis, and several additional experiments, resulted in 'invalid' boot file and the system went ahead with the WINNT directory and booted the wrong OS.

Question: if, using the original boot file, I can select the system in the 'WINDOWS' directory, why wont it choose it later when it is the only one there?

From a different windows 2000 system, here is the boot file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

...Hmmmm?

thanks,
    paul

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

This should be more simple...

Go to 'control panel'-->'system'-->'advanced'-->'startup & recovery settings'.

Here you can use the drop down window to choose the default operating system. Once you choose the correct one, set the timers to 'zero' (or uncheck them if it gives the option...can't remember for 2000) and you won't see the multiboot screen again.

6. celebration.of.being

yeah this works...i hope u got ur answer..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds