Multiple processes under different users :S

Discussion in 'Software' started by Felixmagician, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

I have a new Vaio laptop, there should be no malware or anything as I have not installed any programs and I have virus software and firewall on.
    I have only one user account which is also the administrator. I have UAC enabled.

Now, I start the task manager, and click "show processes from all users", and there are about 80 of them. But what is alarming is that most of the processes run at least twice or three times. I'm not talking about svchost.exe, I know that there are supposed to be many of those. But all other processes, there seems to be one running under three different user names, like this:

process1.exe..........LOCAL
    process1.exe..........Felixmagician
    process1.exe..........SYSTEM
    process2.exe..........LOCAL
    process2.exe..........Felixmagician
    process2.exe..........SYSTEM

and so on.

This is consuming the resources as my CPU (C2d P8600) is running at apprx. 50% idle.

I have Vista in my old laptop as well and it has no such problem.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Welcome to MajorGeeks! I am new to Vista myself, so am interested in how this turns out.

3. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Mind showing us a screenshot?

4. Felixmagician

The reason I opened task manager was that I wanted to clean all the unneeded stuff from my new computer. First I removed programs that I saw as unecessary and then I decided to look at task manager to find what is "under the surface".

This is not a unique problem, I believe this is something many users of Vista encounter as I did a search on Google and found many similiar threads posted on forums about multiple processes running under different user names. I read through some of those threads but no one had found an answer.

My old laptop has UAC disabled. I have a feeling that this has got something to do with UAC. The problem is not the processes themselves, it's the fact that they are running multiple times under different users (LOCAL, SYSTEM, USER).

I will post a screen shot soon if that is of any help. However, I think this is a problem related to Vista in general, not my laptop specifically.

5. Felixmagician

MarkTrent, I appreciate your help, but I've already done the "decrapifying" part (in my own way). There should be very little unneeded software left in my computer, and it shows in the number of processes too.

Now notice this:
    The number of unique processes running in task manager is about 25. Thats pretty reasonable.
    However, when I click "show processes from all users", it shows the duplicates or even three indentical processes.

Why is that, I don't know and I want to find out. Decrapifying won't help with this because it only removes unwanted software. I want all those processes to run, but not two or three times at the same time!

:)

6. Felixmagician

After taking a closer look it's actually only a few processes that have duplicates. These include of course svchost.exe (I have about 10 of them running, is this normal?), taskeng.exe (3 of them), crss.exe, dllhost.exe.

MarkTrent, what antivirus&malware software are you using?
    Ive got Live Onecare installed (came with the laptop) and it seems to be consuming the most resources. However I guess that is the case with any security suite?

I attaced a list of all the processes, can you spot any unnecessary processes that I should get rid of?

Attached Files:

7. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

The duplicates you have are normal.
    Svchost.exe have several instances running because the services are divided into groups there are one process running for each group.
    I dont know why the others need more than one, but I have them too.

For information on security software I recommend this thread:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

8. Felixmagician

A follow-up question:
    I have been uninstalling a lot of Vaio software through control panel.
    Before uninstalling I had about 250GB free disk space. Guess what, now it's only 245GB. What the hell? And yes, it is free disk space, not disk space in use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds