Multiple wireless access points and channels

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, Jul 31, 2012.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I have a wireless network setup as follows,

1 x Access point, broadcasting SSID #1
    1 x Repeater, repeating SSID #1
    1 x Access point, broadcasting SSID #2
    3 x Repeater, repeating SSID #2

My question is, should they all be broadcasting on the same channel or should the channels be spread?

The Engenius ECB3500's that I'm using have the option to set the channel to Auto, or you can set each one manually. Presumably all the hardware on the same SSID should be on the same channel, but different SSID's should be on different channels to prevent interference.

Any tips on how to optimise this setup?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

the repeaters should be on the same channel as the master units as all they do is extend range. However, the two master units should be on separate channels, preferably far apart but do a channel scan to see where there is space in your area. Try and keep at least three channels away from any occupied channel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds