multiple wireless routers is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gps, Dec 11, 2009.

1. gps

gps Private E-2

I am getting verison internet connection in 2 weeks. They are going to supply me with a wireless router. Is it possible to hook up an addition wireless router to the one they are going to supply? The wireless router they supply would be in my basement, i would then connect a catv line from that to an additional wireless n router located upstairs, with supsequent hard wired computers connected to this router as well.

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Yes, it's possible--if all you really plan to do is access the internet connection off of the second router. If you plan to have bidirectional communication between the network members, then I'd recommend a Wireless Access Point (WAP) instead. Otherwise, with a second router, you'll run into some communication difficulties when a computer on the network of the Verizon router tries to talk to the computers on your personal router because of the NAT. Also, be sure that the Verizon and personal routers are using different private IP address ranges. The WAP would just extend the existing network--not act as an additional router, DHCP, etc.

Edit: If they are all going to be hardwired, you could probably just get away with a switch. Also, do you really mean CATV--or do you mean CAT5/CAT6?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

just dont use the wan/internet port on the second router and turn off dhcp. you wont have any problems.

4. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Simple solution on this that I have used. You can use the Verizon modem/router as your internet connection then plug a cross over cable from that to your other router. That will work for sure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds