My 1tb wd hdd fell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JUNIOR315, Nov 27, 2009.

1. JUNIOR315

JUNIOR315 Private E-2

hi guys, i have a compaq presario v2000 notebook running win xp os, and a 1 tb wd ext hdd, nothing special, about a month ago i had my hdd connected but i was not using it at the moment , i was on the internet, then my phone rang and when i went to get it, my foot got caught on the usb wire and the hdd got disconnected and hit the floor, a foot off the table, so i reconnected it, and it would not show up in my computer, but i could see it in device mananger and it said that this device was functioning properly, now i tried this several times but to no avail, someone suggested several solutions to me, here is what i did, i ran test disk 2 times and it did not work, i ran all 3 methods of find and mount and that did not work, i ran the wd diagnostic, and that did not work either, then i connected the hdd in a desktop and it would not be recognized, i tried it about 6 times then as i was going to turn the pc off i got a message that windows found new device and needs to restart and so it did and when i went into my computer i was able to access all my data, i played a video i checked the other volumes and was able to access all my info, the reason why i posted this is because, at this point i don't know what i should do, i know that when my hdd got recognized the normal thing to do was to copy rite there and then, but i was not prepared, thi is a 1tb hdd almost occupied to full capacity and no where to copy the info, i don't know how to clone a hdd or anything like that, any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry about the long story, but i wanted to state the problem as it unfolded, the reason for that is that as all this happend i thougt pretty much that that was the end of this hdd, and to tell others not to just give up. peace

2. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

IMO, you are doing the right thing about taking the data off the drive and putting it onto another one. However, i would get another hard drive ASAP and transfer.

The great thing is that Black Friday was today and I hope you went to Best Buy and bought another external hard drive. Plug both of those drives into your USB and copy and move to the new HDD.

3. JUNIOR315

JUNIOR315 Private E-2

thank you da.bell for your response, unfortunately i was not out shopping friday, can you help me, because i don't know the first thing about doing this, here is what i do know, i need another 1tb hdd, my question is does it have to be the same one?, i also need step by step instrutions, also my hdd does not work on my notebook via usb, it is not recognized, i can only access the info on my freinds pc as a secondary internal hdd, so i know i am going to need some cables to link them toghether, i appreciate all your help, peace.

4. da.bell

1) No, it does not need to be the same HDD.

2) plug both HDD USB plugs into the laptop. You should have 2-3 available to use.

3) Open the old HDD in one explorer window and open the new HDD in another explorer window.

4) On the old HDD explorer window, press Ctrl-A to select all the folders.

5) Drag the mouse curser to the selected text/folders, hold down the right mouse button and drag those files over to the the new HDD explorer window.

6) You will be asked to Move or Copy. IMO, Copy will be the better of the two since you will still have the original stuff on the old HDD.

I hope that this helps out. Good luck. It's easier than you think.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

@da.bell: JUNIOR315 has already stated that the old HDD will not connect to the laptop via USB.

@JUNIOR315: At this point I suspect that the SATA to USB adapter may be broken, not the hard drive. Does the WD drive test work on the drive on your friend's PC when the drive is plugged in?

If the test doesn't work, and if you get the second HDD, then plug them both into your friend's computer and just copy the files in Windows like you would normally. This is of course assuming that you do not have an operating system on the drive.

6. da.bell

Ops, should have said to plug the old and new HDD into the computer that was functionging correctly. Great catch Collinsl. Thanks.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No problem. It appears the thanksgiving Tylenol has not worn off with the number of mistakes around the whole forum lately.:p

8. da.bell

Not to mention my spelling issues ;) WTF was I typing...

OP, hope that things work out for you. There is a ton of good information on this thread that should help you solve the issue that you have. Good luck.

9. JUNIOR315

JUNIOR315 Private E-2

thank you again collins. after the hdd fell i would not be recognized in my notebook in my computer, but i could see it in device manager, i could also turn it on and off via system tray icon, but that as far as it would go, now when i removed the power and usb board, that is fastend with 2 screws and connected it as an internal hdd it took a long time to access the info but it did it, so i am going to get a new one and try to copy the info, thank you, i will let you and da.bell know how it works out. peace

10. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No problem. Let us know how it goes!

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Junior you have my sympathy, I dropped a 1tb hard drive about 3 weeks ago and it is a doorstop, the drive it totally siezed.
    I did all the things possible (put it in the freezer and so on) and in the end when i knew it was anno domini i pulled the top off and found the spindle was broken.
    I lost a huge amount of files so i have learned my lesson. BE MORE CAREFUL

12. JUNIOR315

JUNIOR315 Private E-2

thank you da.bell, i finally got all my info backed up to a new hdd, i purchased the newertechnology usb 2.0 universal drive adapter plug it to the hdd and all my info was there i was so happy, the reason that it took me so long to reply is because at that time i could not afford a new 1 tb hdd anyway i bought a new wd my book essential and it was no good, this happend 3 times, i called wd and told them so they sent me one that they personally tested and they sent me a 2tb hdd for putting me through all that hassle, just wanted to share that with you i hope someone can benefit from this and i also wanted to thank collinsl for all his help and everyone over at major geeks.com peace

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds