My acer 5000 series turns off during large scans

Discussion in 'Software' started by rollerblader880, Mar 1, 2008.

1. rollerblader880

rollerblader880 Private E-2

My Acer 5000 series notebook just turns off (suddenly with no error messages or blue screen) during any large scan (i.e. virus scans, spyware scans, system updates, and the like) as soon as it reaches my C:\i386\Driver file. I have opened my notebook and given it a thorough cleaning, so i don't think it's an overheating problem. I have tried to run a system restore but it always fails regardless of restore date, I really don't want to wipe the hard drive i have a lot of saved data I wouldn't like to lose. I also tried updating my drivers but this too causes my notebook to turn off. Other than during my scans the notebook works perfectly fine. I have seen others with the same problem on forums throughout the internet and no one has been able to come up with a solution, 'm hoping someone can help me without having to bring it in to a shop and spend more money than it's worth.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Does it give you a file name in the scan at the point it crashes? or what is the full BlueScreen error message?

I suspect you "may" have a faulty drive sector, so to rule this out, right click the C: drive and choose properties > click tools tab and choose error checking and make sure Automaticall fix file errors is checked.

3. rollerblader880

rollerblader880 Private E-2

It turns off too suddenly for me t see the exact file only the general location. I don't get any blue screens it just turn off without any warning. My pc runs a disk check at every startup and can't fix some problems it says it only truncates them. I also check the box to scan and repair all bad sectors. Could i have a virus with a defense mechanism that makes my pc turn off?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds