My Buffalo 120 GB External Hard Disk recognised, but not responding!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simonrankin, Sep 21, 2009.

1. simonrankin

simonrankin Private E-2

Hi....

I have a Buffalo 120 GB external Hard Disk that i connect to my HP Compaq Pressario M2000. It has been with me since 2 yrs. It was always fine, except for not being recognised a few months ago....it came back all by itself. So i was fine. I have a lot of data in it which is very important. So please give me any option other than formatting it.

When i rightclick on my My Computer and go to Manage > Disk Management and it shows me my Drive as F: 111.78 GB Healthy (Active).
    But it does not display the name that i have given it (Rockin Ram) and when i try opening it, it says " F: is not acessible " The file drive is corrupted and unreadable ".

I have an internet connection with unlimited download, so please let me know if i need to download some software or install anything to repair it. I will do it, but please help me with this issue.
    I believe you coz my previous problem was solved by you people !

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

The drive could have failed. Try to plug it into another pc if you have another one.

3. simonrankin

simonrankin Private E-2

Hi PC Lover, Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that, but it the other PCs doesnt recognise it either.

Wen i plug it, it looks normal with a whhhrrrrrrrr sound running inside and the normal green light glowing on it. The system detects it and says Local Drive. But it doesnt open when i try to open it.

Please tell me a way how to get my Data recovered. Any professional needed ?

I have installed a recovery program suggested by Major Geeks ( Dont remember the name, i uninstalled it :yum ).....it recognised he drive and tried retrieving the data out of it ! it showed me the file names. But said i need to buy that thing to get the data recoveed :cry

Please help in all means possible !

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like the drive is messed or the enclose has failed. You could try to remove the drive and plug it into the pc directly.

5. lcsmith39

lcsmith39 Private First Class

I would agree with PClover. See if you can hook up the drive internally to your machine and run chkdsk on it. It sounds like the master file table has a problem.

6. rwandrew077

rwandrew077 Private E-2

Yes, if the data is that critical, the next step would be to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and install it into a PC. This way you will know if the enclosure or the hard drive has failed

7. simonrankin

simonrankin Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Can i do this by my own or do i need any supervision rolleyes

Is there any special procedure of installing it ??:confused
    I donot have a soung hardware technology !:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds