My Burner Froze, Manual Reboot, Is It Damaged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Aug 17, 2010.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I've been burning discs with my burner for years. Around 3 years to be exact. I think I've burnt at least 200-300 discs in that time using various software. Anyways today I was burning an audio cd using Nero. When all of a sudden I noticed that the progress bar wasn't moving, nor the percentage or time. So I tried to press control alt delete. But it wouldn't work at all my Pc was frozen. The blinking light was still blinking on my burner. So I did what I feared most and had to hold the power button on my Pc to turn it off. I had to do it because the Pc was frozen for about 10 minutes. When I turned my Pc back on I ejected the cd, and than noticed that it only burnt about halfway when I held the disc to the light.

In any case I'd just like to know if my burner is damaged because I rebooted the Pc. It doesn't surprise me that my Pc froze because Nero has frozen two or three times before in a period of about two years, but never frozen during a burn process. Usually just when I'm making a selection in the list of files, or as I remember about twice right when I opened the application.

Please let me know if my drive was or could be damaged by force rebooting during a freeze? And if there's anyway to check other than burning a cd.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I doubt the drive was damaged during the restart - 3 years of steady use, though, is a lot of years for some opticals...

Best way I can think of to check is to see if you can boot your system to a CD/DVD (preferably your Windows disk, but any bootable disk will do)...if the machine starts with the media, then your drive is probably good...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds