my Compaq Presario SR5130NX wont boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Llamafarm, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

My brother updated or tried to update my bios and my computer froze during the download. Now i have a black screen that says Disk Boot Failure and i cant find anything to get it to boot up. I'm running Windows Vista Home premium.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would contact Compaq support as with OEM motherboards you dont have the failsafe backup BIOS that many retail boards have in case of a bad BIOS update, as in many cases the motherboard is dead unless the company can reflash it, which is why many dont flash the BIOS unless its needed, Flashing the BIOS is not recomended at all unless you know what you are doing and it WILL fix an issue you are having.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

3. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

Thank you for the help but today i contacted Hp and they said i need a new integrated video card. but when i power on my computer it says
    Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting IDE ATAPI device ...
    Found CDROM, try to Boot from it ... Fail

Detecting floppy drive A media...
    INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

(WORD FOR WORD)
    any clue please help im about to go buy a system disk, but i want to know if anything else will work my other option is sending it to HP and they said it would be around 200 dollars

4. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

ok i got passed my first error and i got to...
    No Physical memory is available at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system can not continue

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Some good info you have posted, in that its possible that you may need to do a few things I can think of off-hand to try and get this to boot fully.

Pop out the motherboard battery (with PC off) and leave it out for say 10mins, then pop back in and boot and boot to the BIOS and check the date and time are correct, then make sure you say in the boot order choose HDD as the 1st device and then save and exit and the PC will reboot, hopefully to Windows.

6. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

Ill try that thanks for your help so far i hope that is all i need.

7. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

nope it didnt work the thing is i can only get to my first error then i put a boot disk in and i get to my second error

8. Llamafarm

Llamafarm Private E-2

i fixed after web surfing all day found the right boot disk with the right files in it. I will post file locations when i can get to my home computer

9. samb123

samb123 Private E-2

Hello Llama, can you please direct to the website you got the right boot disk from? I'm having the same problem as you, and cannot find a solution.
    thanks.

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

What exactly do you get on screen?

11. samb123

samb123 Private E-2

hi

exactly as Llamafarm post #3

12. sach2

Link to an ISO file to flash your BIOS

You will need to burn the ISO to a CD as an image file using imgburn or other burning software. Then boot your computer from the CD.

You will get an A> prompt
    Type in awdflash.exe <enter>
    For filename type in ivy.rom <enter>
    Read the warnings and press "Y" to program.

You may get a screen asking if you want to save the old BIOS. I think you might as well say No because if you say Yes it will be unable to save anywhere or will only save to virtual memory which will be deleted as soon as you restart your machine. You can try both ways but if it hangs when you say yes and enter a filename such as rom.old just ctrl+Alt+delete to reboot and say No next time.

PLEASE feel free to ask any questions. I worked out this solution some time ago and may be leaving some explanation out that you may want. But basically Compaq messed up their BIOS update for your motherboard. [If you are not here because of a bad Compaq BIOS update let me know when your problem started. Do NOT flash the BIOS unless you are trying to repair a bad update] There are two versions. The specs for your computer from Compaq say you need this Ivy version. If you try it and the awdflash program says wrong part number than you will need the other version.

Basic screens you will see when running awdflash program http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=532&SLanguage=en-us

Full old post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=200149&page=3

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  13. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

i am having the same problem buttttttttt i have no clue how to make iso cd i have tried but failed i need to know what file and the how to if you can pllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeee

14. sach2

Download the ISO here http://www.mediafire.com/file/0nm2olgzmqy/BootIvy.iso

Download ImgBurn and install it.
    Put a blank CD in a working computer with a CD/DVD burner. Then run Imgburn and select Write image to Disc. Then for Select File>Click the first small folder icon to browse to the iso file Bootivy.iso. Click the large icon towards the bottom of the window to begin burning the CD.

This should give you a bootable CD. Put the CD in your laptops CDROM and restart it. It should load up and give you an A:/ prompt.

Read the warnings and press Y to program.

Hi, natigirl,

See if you can successfully burn the iso file to disc and we can go from there.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  15. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

i burned the disk
    loaded it it says pass then
    DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

16. sach2

Sounds like it is not seeing the disc as bootable. You used the "Write image file to Disc" option?

Can you test the disc in another computer? Just see if it boots to an A:/ prompt and eject it and restart. This would tell us the disc is burnt correctly..

17. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

Ok did that work loaded now i have a
    1. Fd 1.44mb system type-(00)
    starting......

Cutemouse v1.9.1 alpha 1 (freedos)
    installed at ps/2 port
    lable not found
    a:/>

18. sach2

Use all lowercase letters:

Read the warnings and press Y to program.

***If you get a prompt asking to save old version try using the No option.
    Or if it insists, you can say yes and just use old.rom for a filename.

If you have any questions about screens that come up, ask.

19. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

Typed y and

20. sach2

I've never seen that message. Try it again. I know it has worked for several people on that model Compaq.

I'll double check the file against the original files but I am sure that disc works for most people.

21. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

i took the disk out and restarted the computer
    it went passed the compaq screen
    load windows i entered password
    it look like windows is desktop is gonna show
    i can see some of the toolbar
    Should i recover the system at the compaq screen

22. sach2

I don't know what to tell you the file size is 524,288 bytes on disk which should work.

That is your model number of laptop? You used the Compaq BIOS update that caused the problem?

23. sach2

If Windows is loading let it load. If it is giving you a choice like Last Known Good Configuration try that.

24. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

ok well windows is working is there anything else i should or look out for

25. sach2

No, that was the goal to get your BIOS reflashed. You shouldn't have any problems. Do another reboot just to make sure you aren't getting any warning messages.

26. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

thank you i have been trying to fix it 3weeks now it was making me angry so you are a life saver
    do you know how i could possibly free up space on my recovery drive 0%free its telling me

27. sach2

You're welcome! :)

The recovery drive holds an factory image of your Windows operating system. It is very important that it be left alone and unchanged. If you change it and then at some point in the future have problems with the way Windows is running it will not be available to repair the operating system.

Are you getting a low disk space message or did you just check in My Computer to see the 0% free?

Are you running out of space on the C: drive? It would be best to try to make room there.

28. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

low disk space it tells me to back up non-critical files and then remove them

29. sach2

I'm not certain how your recovery partition/drive is set up. Compaq used to put 80% of hard drive capacity for C:\ and 20% for D:\ (recovery partition). The only way things would be added to the recovery partition is if you were doing some sort of backups.

How big is your recovery partition/drive? And do you put files on that drive or are they being added automatically?

30. natigirl

natigirl Private E-2

grrr i hate computers
    they automaticly add them self
    it says 9,413,586,944 bytes capacity
    USED 8,683,679,744
    FREE 729,907,200

31. sach2

I'll read up on how your computer's backup/recovery software works and get back to you. Or better yet you could make a new post in the Software forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21 so that this thread doesn't get too off topic.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds