My computer is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Software' started by binky74845, Nov 22, 2009.

1. binky74845

binky74845 Private E-2

All my problems started approximately 1 month ago when I upgraded my video card and sound card. I have Windows XP. Several programs will not open or when they try to open I will get a message saying the files are corrupted. Sometimes if the programs are open they frequently will close because they have encountered a problem. If previous programs have worked, next time I turn on my computer they will not work. Now the windows installer frequently pops up and says it is preparing to install. I have done the malware removal guide and posted, but the malware people think I have a software/hardware problem. My computer is driving me crazy, I would really appreciate your help.

2. Oscuro

Oscuro Private E-2

One thing that would help us, the community, is if you posted some hardware specs please.

Post up some System Information or a DxDiag diagnostics .txt please.

3. binky74845

binky74845 Private E-2

I have Microsoft windows XP
    Media Center Edition
    version 2002
    service pack 3
    2.00 GB of Ram
    SE 24-bit sound card
    ATI Radeon HD 4600 video card

4. Oscuro

Oscuro Private E-2

Hmm...

Your specs sound fine, but there is one piece of the puzzle missing: Your CPU and its speed.

But even if you gave me that, so far I REALLY believe that this could be a malware/virus problem.

One huge anti-virus program I RECOMMEND to ANYONE is Microsoft's new program called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is better than its built-in Microsoft Defender.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

I assume you are XP 32-bit, so download the XP 32-bit version of the installer. Download, install, update and run it and see if it fixes some of your problems.

Your last resort is to do a clean wipe and start over again with your PC. :(

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Have you re-installed the affected app's?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds