My Computer is Going Nuts!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironchef, Aug 7, 2004.

1. ironchef

ironchef Private E-2

Okay I have no clue what is doing this. The only thing I get is that it's a device failure.

Ever since yesterday my computer has slowed down tremendously. I ran ad-aware, McAfee and did a system restore from the week before. NONE OF IT HELPED!

Symtoms are as follows:

The computer runs for awhile and then it starts to slow down... The "thinking" light on my computer starts to stay on for long periods of time without blinking. At times the computer will just turn of by itself.

Im thinking its a problem with my hard dive or my CPU.

My system specs are as follows:

Windows XP Proffesional

Intel Motherboard D845GBV
    Intel 845G chipset

Seagate Barracuda 7200 plus

I'm usually really good with this kinda stuff. But this time it's driving me NUTS.

:eek: ~The IronChef

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Well as far fetched as this sounds, check your computer for dust, take out your ram and use the blower on the seats.

I had a computer a few weeks ago I could not for the life of me get windows to reinstall or get the original install to boot up. I figured the hard drive was bad. well I reseated the RAM because they were full of dust and everything started working fine :)

Do you hear any noises when it crashes? If its the hard drive sometimes it will make a noise when its trying to read the disk and fails.

you can also download something like SiSoft Sandra and Run Stress tests on each component and see if the computer crashes if a particular component recieves stress.

ALso when you crash is it a blue screen or just the computer restarts?

Hope I can help at all.

3. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

I have the same HDD as you, i hope mine wont cause any problems...:|

4. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

sounds to me like a ram problem, my old computer did that for a while, and bought a little extra RAM and it stopped doing it, but im not that sure, i would get a program to see how much of your RAM is being used

5. munky4745

munky4745 Private First Class

You try booting up in safe mode - administrator account - do your scans (adware....).

You try just booting up with like 1 ram stick than try the other ram stick.

See what happens :cool: .

6. munky4745

munky4745 Private First Class

Ah my bad. Well I dont' know but hey it won't hurt to try . lol <-- likes foolin with the pc to much . lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds