My Computer: Local Disk G: with Qustion Mark

Discussion in 'Software' started by SlowNet, Apr 29, 2007.

1. SlowNet

SlowNet Private E-2

Hi, this is baffling me...

I have an external USB HDD drive that was originally recognised as my G:\ drive. (Actually - I have 2 external USB HDD drives that I swap around as needed using the same USB port/cable). When I boot up the PC without the USB drive attached and then go into My Computer it shows Local Disk G: with a red circle and a white question mark. If I click on the drive I get the "G: refers to a location that is unavailable. etc etc" message.

Now I thought it had something to do with one of the following:
    1) Acronis True Image & secure zone/backup - so I un-installed it and deleted the Acronis devices in device manager.
    2) NTbackup.exe (MS Backup Utlity) - I removed all references to backing up to g:\ drive.
    3) Linux Ubuntu which I installed on to the external USB HDD drive and booted into by changing the BIOS settings. BIOS settings have now been restored to booting from 1st: Floppy, 2nd: CDROM, 3rd: Primary Master HDD.
    4) System Restore - At one stage I had the system restore function monitoring G: drive as well. - This has been changed back to monitoring only the C: & D: drives by offing all restore capability, rebooting and then instructing the system to only monitor the two internal HDD's
    5) Recycle Bin configuration - I re-configured this by going to Recycle Bin, Properties, and clicking on "Use one setting for all drives" and "Do not remove files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted".

None of the above did any good what-so-ever, so in desperation I did a search on the registry and deleted all key values with a references to G:\, shut down and re-booted.

Guess what?... I've still got a local G: drive with a red circle and a white question mark showing in My Computer. The dam USB drive isn't even attached! (Sorry I'm loosing my cool here!).

If I look under Computer Management, Disk Management there is no sign of a G: drive. Everest and SiSoftware Sandra XI don't recognise it either. Why does Windows Explorer think it's got a G: drive?confused

Sorry this post is so long. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    AD

2. SlowNet

SlowNet Private E-2

Right, here's how my headache was cured!

Thanks to being directed to a registry tweak that enables one to (really) see all hidden devices in Device Manager, http://www.theeldergeek.com/show_hidden_devices_in_device_manager.htm, I was able to resolve this problem

In device manager, I deleted all devices under Disk Drives except current internal HDD drives c: and d:.

I also deleted ALL Generic Volumes under Storage Volumes and ALL grey-ed out devices under USB Controllers (i.e. ALL the USB Mass Storage Devices). Shut down and re-boot.

New hardware was found and installed automatically on boot-up and ...Hey Presto... problem resolved!!!

I then re-attached and detached, one by one, each of my 2 external USB HDD drives and the USB Key Drive that I forgot to tell you about. Windows's My Computer has been correctly identifying each USB device correctly at all stages (i.e. added and removed while PC was up and running and attached & unattached at boot-up.

Problem solved... Thanks a million!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to all of you who replied so promptly
    AD

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds