my computer only works in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by l0veericsh, Oct 22, 2009.

1. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

recently my computer will only work in safe mode. the only thing that changed is windows media player tried adding a new codec file. so i tried uninstalling the video codec in device manager..didnt work. last known config and start normally doesnt work it takes me to this blue screen
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you're seeing this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you may need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, then select Safe Mode.

TECHNICAL INFO

***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804DC11D)

can anyone PLEASE help me

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you try a system restore in safe mode?

3. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

im afraid to..i bought this used from someone and havent had a chance to do system restore. so if i do it it mite go back to his settings and i dont know his password for the computer or anything

4. TimW

Did he provide you with the OS disc. Because if it is used....and may have his info on it you would best be advised to do a clean installation rather than deal with his problems.

Does it have the install key on the computer?

5. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

no it didnt come with the os disc

6. TimW

Do you have the exact same xp disc ( home, pro, etc.)? You can use Magic Jelly Bean to find the key. Or is it on a sticker on the machine?

7. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

i dont have any xp disc...

8. TimW

Then you are in trouble. Why are you concerned about restoring to a day or so back. You said you don't have a password. How did you get into windows in the first place?

9. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

its been like this since friday and when i got the computer a name was already created for me and the old one gone

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You should be able to look at System Restore to see which dates are available. Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. Choose restore my computer to an earlier time. Look at which dates are available. Anything from just slightly before the Media Player codec add but still after you have been running the computer? If there are no recent restore points you can just cancel and the program will close without changing anything.

11. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

ok i did the system restore..and well now i have to use my boss' laptop cause the other one doesnt work. it loads to the xp screen then a blue screen with an error pops up..then restarts keeps doing it..i cant even use safe mode...

12. sach2

Can you read the error message?

What happens when you try safemode? Do you get the screen with the safemode choices?

13. l0veericsh

l0veericsh Private E-2

i see the error but it restarts so i cant read it..i get the screen with the choices..when i pick safe mode it keeps going to that error screen and restarting

14. sach2

Do you have a choice of safe mode with debugging? Or just debugging? If so try that and see where it stops.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds