My computer powers on itself! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kathirteen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. kathirteen

kathirteen Private E-2

Lately I have noticed that sometimes after I turn my computer off at night, I wake up and see that it has come back on. I've noticed this twice now. I've swept for malware and viruses, etc. but it comes up clean. What is causing this to happen? Anybody got any ideas? I don't recall giving any programs permission to do this.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using?

Do you use a router and connect via ethernet or wifi and leave it on over night? if you do turn the router off at night and does your PC reboot still? what could be happening is in the BIOS "wake on Lan" is enabled and when the PC gets a signal from the router as it polls the PC during the night, it switches on the PC, just disable "Wake on Lan" in the BIOS.

*if you dont want to turn the router off and are using ethernet cable to connect to the internet, then just pull the ethernet out of the router or PC (be carefull as the cable connector has a clippything you have to push down then pull the cable back.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

This behaviour caused a lot of head scratching when XP Media Center Edition was launched some years ago, and was due to the system being hard programmed to wake up at 3AM to download the latest TV guides. I have a fix somewhere, but your problem is probably different.

4. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

It could be an electrical issue too. I notice when my electricity goes out, when it comes back on, some things in my house will turn themselves on, even if they were off when the power went out. This can be annoying, one of the things that does it is my reciever.. If I'm listening to music before I go to bed at night, sometimes it can be pretty loud when I turn it off.. I awake in the middle of the night to a vibrating house, and people singing loudly.

Isn't there a setting in the BIOS about restarting after a power failure? that might be worth changing too.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I had a windows 2000 computer that turned on every night at 9pm. It drove me nuts until I could figure out why. I plugged it into a power strip and turned it off that way because if it was plugged directly into an outlet, it turned itself on.
    Go into your BIOS and look for a setting like Wake on Schedule or Wake on LAN and disable it.

My computer was in an office and apparently it woke itself up a 9pm to get updates. As far as I could tell, it never turned off.

6. kathirteen

kathirteen Private E-2

Thanks everyone. I have Windows XP Pro SP 3.
    • I will check the BIOS, but I've had the computer a long time and it never did this before.
    • I thought about that too - turning it off at the surge protector.
    • I don't have a router/wireless/home network set up.
    • I do have an Ethernet connection, and I also have the USB cord plugged in too. Not sure if I need both cords plugged in, but it doesn't seem to hurt it anything.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You really only need the one cord from your modem, any more than this may confuse the computer. Try it with just the USB and see what happens.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When mine turned on, it was not connected by modem, ethernet or wireless. The only thing plugged in was the power cord. Apparently a schedule was set up and the computer turned itself on to follow the schedule.

Check your security apps. If any have changed lately, maybe one of them added a scheduled task to check for updates at a certain time.

If you can't find anything, then I'd head to the malware forum just to be sure you do not have a rogue app trying to do its thing on a schedule.

9. kathirteen

kathirteen Private E-2

Turns out I didn't have USB and Ethernet plugged in - just the Ethernet. I unplugged it and am using the USB now instead. It turned OFF by itself today before I did that. My first thought was malware, but I ran Spybot and my anti-virus/anti-malware program (I use A-Squared). I thought I already stopped all scheduling, but I'll check again. I will wait now and see if changing to USB connection fixes the problem. When I ran my Verizon CD to change my connection type, I got messages telling me I should stay with the Ethernet connection because it's faster and more reliable. I can't tell the difference so far.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds