My Computer Shuts Itself Down For No Apparent Reason! HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by AshleyM, Nov 23, 2007.

1. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am having some annoying computer issues. Monday evening I turned my computer on after being shutdown for 3 days. It began to load Windows XP for me (It played the little music that comes when Windows loads) and then it immediately shuts itself down and restarts, and continues to do this until I manually shut the computer off. I am able to run it in safe mode with networking. I have run a virus scan using Micro Trend Housecall and besides the normal cookies that I get from using the internet, the scan hasn't found a thing. I am hoping for some suggestions on what it could be and how I can fix this. I miss having the use of my sound card and printer (two things that won't work in safe mode) and would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks so much!

Cheers :)

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi Ashley,

It isn't sounding like an automatic shutdown caused by overheating if you can run in safe mode. I suggest running through the malware sticky and seeing what you find; I've a vague recollection of a virus a couple of years back interfering with XP machines like this. If it is some malware (malicious software), you may pin it down by doing this. Here's the link:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

If you find things while going through the sticky but your problem isn't solved and/or you aren't certain if your computer's completely clean, the guys in Malware removal will be able to give you a hand; they're really good. Read the other stickies before you post though because they have other useful information that you need. This is the forum you go to:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Then if your computer's clean and the problem still isn't solved, you come back here.

All the best and welcome to Major Geeks.

Chookers. :)

3. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

Thank you Chookers for the reply.

I took your advice and used those threads to attempt to fix my computer. Unfortunately, the problem is still happening. I will attach the log files to this post (I was unable to save the AVG log file, due to the fact it only found 3 tracking cookies). I ran the four recommendations in the Malware thread, as well as Ad-Ware SE. As far as I can tell, I found nothing but tracking cookies.

Just to clarify, here is the issue with my computer again.

I shut my computer down for the weekend a week ago and when I went to reboot it Monday evening, it loaded Windows, and then immediately shut itself back down. It continued to follow this process of loading and restarting itself until I manually shut it down.

Before this happened, I did only one thing out of the ordinary with my computer- I downloaded a video from YouTube for school use. The file has since been deleted, but who knows what affect it could have had on my computer :S I have recently replaced my power supply (in September), and installed a wireless internet card (also in September).

While running in Safe Mode, my computer appears to be fine. From what I can tell my sound card, virus scanner (Nod32), and printer/spooler service do not run. It was suggested (by my brother-in-law) that it could possibly be one of these services that is causing the problem.

Thank you for any help that anyone can give. I appreciate it.:)

Attached Files:

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

For Malware Support you need to start a new thread in the Malware Forum and post ALL the logs as indicated in the link provided below (same as Chookers linked to)

-----------

Welcome to MajorGeeks.com!

Please follow the instructions in the below link and attach the requested logs when you finish these instructions.

Read & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support

5. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

But I don't think it is Malware... and Chookers told me to come back here if it wasn't.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

If you are running the Malware Read and Run Me First link, which you were and posted two of the requested logs, you need to do that in the Malware Forum. MajorGeeks.com only allows Authorized Malware Fighters to deal with these, due to the obvious potential problems if advice received is incorrect. So if you wish to post up the links as a result of following the Read and Run Me First then you need to do so in a new thread in the Malware Forum. If the Authorized Malware Fighters deem this is not a malware problem, then you are welcome to return to this thread and continue from there. My point was that this thread in Software is not the place to post up the requested Malware logs.

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Right click my computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery>uncheck-automaticaly restart (in safe mode)

8. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

I apologize. I did not realize I shouldn't post the log files in this thread. Thanks for the heads up. I will remove them.

Edit: I won't remove them, because I can't seem to find a way to edit the post. Is it possible to do that? I apparently can't post them in the alware thread because they are already here... :s

9. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

After doing this, should I attempt to restart in Normal mode?

10. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

Ok, I did that and restarted my computer and it shut itself down again. Only this time I got the following message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer, if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF2F2EFF8, 0XFA2F3320, 0XFA2F301C)

*** amon.sys - address F2F2EFF8 base at F2F27000, DateStamp 45cc413d

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

So I restarted the computer, and the same thing happened. So I am asking, nice technical support group people... HELP me please! :)

11. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

I have fixed my computer! I did a little research and found that amon.sys is a file associated with NOD32 (my virus scanner) so I called my computer tech brother-in-law and filled him in on what had been recommended here and about the message I got that mentioned amon.sys. He told me to uninstall NOD32 and things should be fine. And it is. So for now I am running AVG on my computer until I go home for Christmas and can get a new full version scanner from him.

Thank you to everyone who helped with my problem. It is greatly appreciated. I would also like to apologize again Lev for posting the scan logs in this thread. I did not realize I shouldn't- and now that I know I will be sure to never do that again. The curse of the newbie :s Thanks for your patience- feel free to delete that post!

Again, thank you everyone.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Keep the tip that Goran.P gave you written down. It is much better to have windows show you the error rather than rebooting. As you discovered, once you see the information, you may be able to pinpoint the problem.
    Nice detective work on your part searching for the amon.sys file!

13. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

I take it that means I should switch that back then, to automatically restart, instead of just leaving it the way it is? And I will definitely keep that somewhere handy- actually surprised my brother in law didn't think of it...

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If it were me, I would not switch back to reboot on error. I like to know exactly by BSOD with the error number on it what is going on with the computer.
    (I meant to keep it handy just in case you need to help someone else whose computer keeps rebooting and they can't figure out why).

15. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

My thoughts exactly... now that I know about it! Thanks, I will be sure to keep it handy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds