"My Computer" slow to display contents

Discussion in 'Software' started by TonyR825, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyR825

TonyR825 Private E-2

Something has corrupted the "my computer" folder. When I try to access the 'my computer" folder, it takes up to and sometimes longer than a minute to display the contents. This occurs not only from my desktop shortcut, but from the "send to" tab when I right click a file or when trying to save a file to a folder on "C" drive other than the default locations located on the left side of the "save to" window. Any suggestions to speed this up...patience is exhausted. Thanks

Computer specs:
    Dell Dimension 4600
    XP professional 5.1
    Pentium 4a 2666mhz
    40 gig hard drive 7200 rpm
    512 ram

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. TonyR825

TonyR825 Private E-2

Thanks!!!

The link did the trick and the contents in My Computer display immediately.

I do have a scanner so I assume I will have to enable and disable "WIA" when I need to use it. Small compromise to speed things up, as I seldom scan.

Thanks again.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The image software you got with your scanner should allow you to still scan without WIA as they all generally use TWAIN drivers to aquire the scan data, easiest thing to do is try and scan something.

Also have a look for any updated drivers + software for your scanner as these may help XP to work better with your scanner.

but yes its a small compromise if you dont scan alot.

5. ronyotz

ronyotz Private E-2

Hey guys i was reading your thread and i have a question.
    When i open My Computer the files appear inmediately, but when i go to my hard drive (drive c:) the files appear and then dissappear for about ten seconds, then the files and folders appear again.
    It's not a critical problem of course but sometimes it's annoying, maybe it's a memory issue, i'm just curious, any ideas??
    O yeah and it happens just the first time i open drive c.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds