My computer won't read a C.D. OR D.V.D.

Discussion in 'Software' started by livndedgrl, Mar 3, 2013.

1. livndedgrl

livndedgrl Private E-2

My computer will play a program like a program for my printer but it won't pick up or read anything for a Dvd or c.d. I checked the device manager and everything shows fine. No error message pops up. Can someone please tell me a list of things I must check or do to get it working and if that doesn't work is there an alternative like down loading another driver to get it up and running.

You advice and reply will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

livndedgrl

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and Service Pack are you running?

What the likely cause can be is, multiple applications that have access to the CD/DVD drives can corrupt the upper/lower media filters and these just need fixing, to do this run this FixIT HERE and reboot and see how you get on.

If that doesn't work, can you open and close the drive, does the little light flicker when you put a disk in the drive? could just need to unplug the data cable (with PC off) from the drive and motherboard and re-plug it back in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds