My connection has me stumped!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superfuzzbigmuff, Sep 26, 2005.

1. superfuzzbigmuff

superfuzzbigmuff Private E-2

I've had the dreaded 'limited or no connectivity' error on all three computers connected to the router for a couple of days, and resisted posting for help, but I have to now, because I've ran out of solutions and it's driving me up the wall!
    I've tried all the suggestions I can find; the Microsoft fix, winsockxp, hijackthis, flushing the DNS, and more, but it refuses to fix.
    Every one in 10 reboots (like now), I get an IP address starting with 82.42.xxx.xxx, which lets me access the Internet, but the rest of the time it's 169.254.xxx.xxx, which comes up as invalid, and lets me access nothing.
    I've using a DI-604 on XPpro, and I can't access the router. ANY help is appreciated!
    Thanks a lot,
    Mike

EDIT: Right now, I'm accessing through the router, but with the same IP - 82.42.xxx.xxx - so I hope this means I don't need a new router?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I would suggest first try swappign the network cable with a different one, also might try updating your router firmware if you ever get in the router interface. Also if you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card drivers you might do that.

3. superfuzzbigmuff

Thanks for the fast reply! I've uninstalled and reinstalled all three network cards, updated the drivers, and swapped all the network cables for others; still no luck, and I haven't got into the router interface. I might have to do the unthinkable now and hire some ridiculously overpriced help out to fix it!

4. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

The IP 169.254.xxx you get is when the DHCP not avail to assign your PC and IP and your PC auto assigns itself one. Since to goes no where you don't get a connection. The next time you get it open the CMD prompt. Start-> Run-> type CMD to get it up. Then type "ping 127.0.0.1", this should allow you to ping your NIC card. If it does not work your NIC may be the problem. If it works ping the IP of your rounter to see is you can get that.

You may also look at your network conncetions via the Control Panel, Properties and check the status/details to try a repair. This should cause a release/renew of your IP to see if it resets. Good Luck.

5. superfuzzbigmuff

Thanks for another quick response. Pinging 127.0.0.1 works fine, but pinging the router, it reports 'Destination host unreachable'.
    As for repairing the connection, it always fails on "Renewing IP address".
    This is driving me up the wall! If I get nowhere tonight, it's time to get out the Yellow Pages, I think! :(

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Check those cables and try another port on the router if you can. It may not be your PC.

7. superfuzzbigmuff

Three ports on the router are being used for three computers, with new cables, so it's not very likely that all three are broken. Saying that, however, the odds of the same problem being on all three computers are slim too. Perhaps it is my router after all?

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I missed the "all three computers..." part. So that rule's it (them) out. Router, modem or ISP. Sorry.

9. superfuzzbigmuff

No worries. Thanks for all your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds