My Dissapearing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'Software' started by RedKat, Jul 5, 2007.

1. RedKat

RedKat Private E-2

I am posting here because after numerous actions on my part I have decided that this is a Vista issue.

I am very concious of my hard drive space ( I am a wedding photographer) and as a norm transfer files off my SD cards into my PC using windows explorer and just drag and drop them into the appropriate folder.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed that suddenly I seemed to have 10gigs less HD space than ther day before, ok maybe it's my imagination. Then about 10 days ago I went from having 90+ gigs free to having 28 gigs free. After re-running Grissoft anti-virus and disck clean up and a bunch of other deleting I was back up to 46 gigs free. Well life got in the way and I just had to go on then today I noticed that I have 12 gigs free. I have down-loaded nothig that could account for more than1-2 gigs of space.

In an effort to discover the problem, I have run...
    • Treesize Free which confirmed that I am only using 94 Gigs of space; but at the bottom it says that I only have 13gb free on a 225gb Hard Drive
    • J-Disk Report shows that I'm only using 93 Gigs of space (which is what it should be) of my total 225 gigs
    • HijackThis, which shows nothing out of the ordinary
    • AVG Gris-soft Antivirus, I'm Clean
    • AVG Gris-soft Anti-Spyware, I'm clean
    • AVG Gris-soft Anti-Rootkit, I'm clean
    • Spybott search and destroy, I'm Clean
    • Lavasoft Adaware, I'm Clean
    • Ccleaner, I'm Clean

AHHH! I'm lost.

Given what J-disk report is showing, I'm inclined to think that Vista is loosing it's mind.

I will be grateful for any help requiring any level of expertise (hubby is a programmer).

Thank you,
    Kat

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

The program I use to check where hard drive space is gone is
    Scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

It uses a circular pie chart to show space and you can drill down through.

It works fine on XP Pro, but all links I checked don't say whether it works on Vista, unfortunately, so use at your own risk

@Halo@ Have you, (or anyone else), used this on Vista?

Bazza

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Look for a bloated indexing file, either Windows Vista or Google or other toolbar.

start>type"performance information" into the search box
    click adjust indexing options
    see if vista is indexing all your photos

What is the size of c:\programdata\microsoft\search folder?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds