My DVD drives are not working normally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by babel, Dec 19, 2005.

1. babel

babel Private E-2

I am having a problem playing DVD’s. It has happened on two separate DVD drives on the same computer.

I am operating Windows XP Home, SP1 on a Gateway 510S with a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz processor and 496 MB of RAM. The machine contains a factory installed DVD player.

Here is the problem:
    I recently bought a new DVD (Warner Brothers, not Sony !).
    To play it I used my DVD drive for the first time in a few weeks.
    When I put the DVD in the drive, the computer rebooted 15 seconds after I closed the drive bay.

Once the computer rebooted, I was able to play the DVD, although it did get stuck at one point about a half-hour in, and I could not get past it, despite multiple tries.

I have not recently installed any new hardware.

I tried a System Restore. This did not solve the problem.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the DVD drive. I booted to Safe Mode, opened Device Manager, uninstalled the DVD drive and rebooted. The computer recognized new hardware. This did not solve the problem. I put the disk in the DVD drive and 15 seconds after I closed the drive bay, the computer rebooted.

I then repeated the uninstall-install process and put in a different DVD. This did not solve the problem. The computer rebooted 15 seconds after I closed the drive bay. I then put a different DVD in a second, external DVD drive connected by USB. The same problem occurred. Fifteen seconds after I closed the drive bay, the computer rebooted.

I then unchecked “reboot if system error”. I put a DVD in the drive and fifteen seconds after I closed the drive bay I got a “Blue Screen”.

Here’s what the blue screen said:

STOP – 0x00000027 (0xBAAD009C, 0xF7A4655C, 0xF7A4625C, 0xEE6DCD08)

cdudf_xp.SYS_ Address EE6DC08 base at EE69C000 DateStamp 407c6bc2

Previous to all of this neither Spybot nor AdAware found any problems.
    I next ran A-squared.
    A-squared found:
    C:\Security\CCleaner 1.24\CCleaner\uninst.exe
    Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Agent.acq
    C:\Security\CCleaner 1.24\ccsetup124.exe
    Trojan-dropper.Win32.Agent.acq
    I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup copy of Drive C (C)\Security\CCleaner 1.24\ccsetup124.exe
    I:\Retrospect Backup\Backup copy of Drive C (C)\Security\CCleaner 1.24\CCleaner\uninst.exe

I had a-squared remove these items. This did not solve the problem.

I next ran TrendMicro HouseCall.
    HouseCall found: CWS_SE.69465

I had HouseCall remove this item. It did not solve the problem.

I am not sure if malware is the problem or if a corrupted file (cdudf ?) is the problem. If it is malware, did it arrive on the Warner Brothers DVD?

Can anyone help me with this problem? What should I try next?

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Three weeks ago, I'd have said, "impossible". Then Sony got caught offside with its rootkit DRM. Maybe it is possible after all.

Re cdudf_xp.sys: check out this link. Then try googling the filename to see what else you get. What I saw suggests that cdudf_xp.sys may have something to do with your problem.

3. babel

babel Private E-2

Thanks, Rob.

I downloaded Security Task Manager.
    The highest rated suspicion of malware was "InCD", a part of Nero.
    I had Security Task Manager turn this process off, but when I inserted a DVD, my computer still rebooted.

My next thought is that since the Blue Screen pointed to "cdudf" as a problem, and since "cdudf" is a part of Roxio, and since Roxio is involved in playing DVD's, I probably should next UNinstall Roxio the next chance I get some uninterrupted time at the computer.

What do you think?

I will be VERY, VERY annoyed if I find out this problem arrived on my Warner Brothers DVD.

4. babel

babel Private E-2

I uninstalled all Roxio componants.
    I checked Windows/system32/drivers and "cdudf" was gone.
    I put a DVD in the drive, but unfortunately the same problem occurred and my computer rebooted.
    I'm just not sure what to try next.

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I don't know Roxio software (I've never used it) but I do recall that it is sometimes reported as causing problems that Nero and InCD don't. Neither of them is perfect.

InCD is a packet-writer that allows you to use a re-writable optical drive as if it were a large-capacity floppy. I gather that Roxio also provides a packet-writer sometimes known as "Drag-To-Disk". In other words, they do the same thing and may be conflicting with each other. You might want to make sure that Roxio's packet-writer is gone if you have InCD installed.

Windows uninstall programs (including "Add/Remove Programs") don't always remove everything. You might want to run CCleaner to be sure that you have no remnants or Registry entries left to mess things up. It's freeware and works well -- you can get a copy from the publisher at <http://ccleaner.com/>.

6. babel

babel Private E-2

Rob, that is interesting information about Nero's "InCD" and Roxio's "Drag-to-Disk".

I am now very happy to report that I seem to have solved my problem, thanks to your advice and the advice of others on various support forums. All I needed to do was reboot once more. I do use CCleaner regularly, and perhaps that, not the reboot was what I needed. Regardless, I can now insert a DVD with no unwelcome rebooting, and I can play the DVD's as well.

The question remaining is, of course, whether the problem came from a random corruption of a Roxio file or registry entry, or if the problem arrived on the new DVD I bought. Perhaps it was, as you mentioned, an attempt by Warner Brothers to prevent reproduction of the contents of the DVD.

I certainly don't plan to put that DVD back in my drive for a long time. I will, however, eventually reinstall Roxio and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Babel.

7. Smokeyrobinson5

Smokeyrobinson5 Private E-2

maybe im just stupid but... not enough power? Sounds like it used to work before you added a second and I bet a computer manufacturer will put the least amount of power into a power supply that they can get away with. I would guess you dont have enough power and your power supply has no protection against that so it just turns off the computer. Try unplugging one of them and trying again.

looks like you already solved the problem though.... I can't read.

8. babel

babel Private E-2

Smokey, the second DVD player has been plugged in to my computer for a year - it's my burner. I don't think it's a hardware problem. Fortunately, the problem seems to be solved by uninstalling Roxio.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds