My DVD-ROM doesn't read DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by journeyman, Sep 12, 2005.

1. journeyman

journeyman Private E-2

hi, everyone
    my toshiba dvd-rom sd-r2512 just gave up readin any dvds :mad: - no matter if burned or original. i tried to find smth here, but the info is soo much. can you help me?
    i tried re-installin the drivers, ****in around with limits in the regedit. cant make it...
    thx :)

2. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

It may be that the dvd laser is dead i had a toshiba qosmio laptop with this issue and it would still read cd's fine so it sounds like your drive has died sorry

3. journeyman

journeyman Private E-2

****in hell!! hope not, but i guess i have to call the toshiba people and get it straight. thx, man

4. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

no probs im glad i could help i just hope you can get a replacement from the without too much hassle

5. bentura

bentura Private E-2

Just offered this advise to someone else on the forums.

I had the same problem with my PIODATA drive a few months back. It would read CDs fine but didnt recognise DVD disks. Windows would say that they are CDs.

What i did was flash my DVD bios / Firmware and this seemed to work. It might be worth a try. :)

Please research well though before doing this as it could mess up a bit. Its a risky process and make sure you have the right flash tool for the right drive.

6. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

You could try cleaning the lense.

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Is the drive displayed properly in My Computer and Device Manager with no errors?

Also, what is your operating system etc?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds