My DVD+/-RW drive won't recognise/write/format DVD+RW's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emjayhaych, Aug 27, 2004.

1. emjayhaych

emjayhaych Private E-2

I'm using a Sony VAIO PC GRT786M with a DW-U50A DVD+/-RW drive (2x write).
    I have it updated using the latest firmware version 1.5g, which according to Sony adds support for 1-4x discs.
    My OS is Windows XP SP1, and my ASPI drivers are functional according to ASPIcheck. I've used Nero Infotool and DVDINfo, both say my drive can read and write DVD+RW's, and DVD-RW's too.
    For burning (CD-RW's, CD-R's and DVD-R's are all I've used up until now) the software I'm using is Deep Burn. I did use Nero but it proved to be a pain, so I switched to Deep Burn.
    I've just bought a 3 pack of 1-4x speed TDK DVD+RW's (code DVD+RW47MAEB) and I can't find any way to write to them. For starters, when I insert a disc, My Computer switches from identifying my drive as a DVD-RW drive to a CD drive, even though properties indicate 4.37GB free space on the disc.
    FixDVD! fails to analyse the disc saying it's an unknown format, but WriteDVD! correctly identifies it as a 4.7GB DVD+RW even though formatting fails every time.
    Quick erase via Deep Burn also does not work/change anything.
    When I try to burn data to the disk via Deep Burn, it simply comes up with an error saying 'This media is not writeable'.

So basically my problem is that I cannot format or write to these DVD+RW's that I have, and before I got the TDK's I tried some Imation discs which gave me the same non-results.
    Can anybody help? I'm really confused about this.

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Did Sony provide a program with the computer or drive that it supports for use with this particular drive? If so, what is it?

3. emjayhaych

emjayhaych Private E-2

No, Sony didn't include anything that could be used to burn DVD's for this drive in particular, they just included a few utilities like 'Click 2 DVD' that lets you easily record footage from your DV camcorder onto DVD, thats all.
    I can't find anything in the Program Files>Sony folder which is of any use, just various utilities that are nothing to do with DVD.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Try using some preminum DVD media.
    One other possibility, are you using or have Nero's INCD installed, if so uninstall INCD via add and remove programs and try again, INCD causes some problems with DVD burning.

5. emjayhaych

emjayhaych Private E-2

I've not got InCD installed, never have had it installed.
    I've never heard of preminum, and I'm sure it can't be the media, I've tried 10 Imation discs and 5 TDK discs all with exactly the same error.

6. emjayhaych

emjayhaych Private E-2

*bump...* Still not found out how I could solve this.
    I just downloaded the newest version of Adaptec's ASPI drivers, 4.72, but in the files I unzip, there's an INSTALL.BAT file which doesn't seem to do exactly what the readme says it should do.
    There's a SYS file and a DLL file that need to be copied into the 'windows>system32' and 'windows>system32>drivers' folders, which I've done, but this makes no difference :rolleyes:

7. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Have you tried any of the programs available from MG?

Theres got to be something that will work, unless this is a hardware limitation.

I use Roxio Easy DVD Creator, $69. Never had a problem.

8. emjayhaych

emjayhaych Private E-2

What programs are by MG?
    I've not tried Roxio Easy DVD, but everywhere I look, people with similar problems are being told to uninstall that program, so I'm a little hesitant....
    Anyway, I shall 'get' it ;) and see if it works.
    I'm sure it's something to do with how Windows/my drive is recognising the discs though, because when I put a DVD+RW in, My Computer changes from identifying my E drive as a DVD-drive to a CD-drive.
    I've tried about 5 programs altogether now, and none can successfully format or erase the discs, it's as if Windows is seeing the discs as read only....

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Go to your Device Manager and uninstall the drive. Reboot and let Windows find and reinstall the drive

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

When I said preminum I did not mean brand, but level of DVD media Quality.

Imation/TDK is near the bottom of the list for quality of DVD media.

Preminum quality media here is few Verbatim/Ritek/AZO Great, look for Media containing AZO metal dye/and or Branded.
    Here is link where some good prices can be had:
    http://www.meritline.com/

FAQ on DVD Media Products here:
    http://www.meritline.com/faq-dvd-blank-media-burner-burning-software.html

Nero, IMO is one of the best Burning programs, I have tryed many.

I not saying the DVD media is your problem, Only a possibility!

Another possibility is that Firmware update!

Maybe ASPI drivers/registry screwed up look here:
    http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm

Dont run more than one DVD burning program you will have conflicts if you do,
    Uninstall all burning programs, then I would reinstall only nero.
    Roxio is second rate compaired to Nero IMO.

I had read on another forum "Afterdawn" some other folks with same burner having problems with RW media.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds