My E: drive is possessed! Please help

Discussion in 'Software' started by danzigspice, Dec 7, 2008.

1. danzigspice

danzigspice Private E-2

All the sudden my e: drive won't cooperate. It'll take a couple mins to load a dvd. But the main problem is that when I put in a blank DVD-R, it just spins and it keeps programs from running. For example, I'm trying to burn a movie from my hard drive (which I've done a thousand times!) and ImgBurn keeps spitting it out. Then I tried a couple other burning software and they either won't load or they go "not responding" BUT if I take the DVD out, the software works without delay. But as soon as I load up the DVD my computer freezes. I just recovered the computer due to a virus so everything should be running smoothly. Please help. What could be the problem????

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Firstly, knowing that you had a virus I am concerned about the process you used to remove the virus and if your machine is completely clean. Before we spend time attempting to resolve an issue that could be malware related you should work through this link and post your logs by opening a new thread in the Malware Forum.

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

Also update your driver for the drive. Start > right click <My Computer and select Manage. In the window that appears click on Device Manager in the left hand column and then select your drive from the hardware listed in the right hand column. If you right click on the drive listed it will give you options including Update.

3. danzigspice

danzigspice Private E-2

Thank you for writing. I did what you said, It says no updates are needed for the cd drive. Now I tried once again to burn a dvd and it just sat there.. then it ejected on its own.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Try cleaning your drive.

Did you work through the link I gave in my previous post and make a new thread as suggested in the Malware Forum?

5. danzigspice

danzigspice Private E-2

I did all the housecleaning applications and ran the SuperAntispyware software and it took 40mins but NO damaging files were found. I wasnt sure what to post in the malware thread if I didnt find anything? Could it be that my cd drive is just broken?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds