My First Thread (Related to XP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by jf38081, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Greetings. I've long been Geek'ing it for a while now, but I've just enlisted myself into the the forum. Here is my first question:

Tonight I did some of my routine pc maintenance drills: I deleted my tifs (including all off-line content) and cookies (i use ie6), then went to window/temp and deleted all the files there.

Then I began surfing again and noticed some weird stuff. 1 - I was still logged into the target.com website and 2 - some websites have ads that appear (similar to the right hand column of gmail) related to my past search engine queries..

So heres the question, if I cleaned out my tifs, cookies, and windows/temp, then how is the webserver getting this info about me? Any cookies connecting me with target.com should be gone now, right? Any cookies pertaining to my past search queries should be gone, right? Are there more cookies or temp files for me to kill somewhere?

Maybe I'm just shell shocked -- !
    Jim

2. YooperLady

YooperLady Private First Class

Jim: How did you clean your PC? The easiest way to get rid of cookies and such I found is the little tool alot of people here use, CCleaner. Normally after I run that, it gets rid of most of the spyware also. Here's a link to the download, hope this helps: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_d4191.html
    Works great removing all those annoying cookie and such.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Nearly everyone recommends CCleaner. I use it as well. But I also use

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575

in conjunction with CC. Run all 3 every day. Each finds stuff the other 2 miss. Bazza

===

4. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Actually I just deleted those files by hand the first time. I went ahead and installed ccleaner and it found a ton of stuff that i missed. I should have saved the log file, but its gone.

But basically clean tifs, cookies, and windows/temp does not mean a clean pc.. there is a lot more to it now and one needs to use another program to do this, yes?

5. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Ads on web pages may be generated by google ad sense,impossible to remove.
    Microsoft-antispyware is a good program to stop ads that are generated with help from within your system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds