My friend keeps getting kicked off her dial-up connection! Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColonelAngus, Oct 19, 2004.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

She just formatted her hard drive and reinstalled everything so there is no virus or spyware on it. I put on an antivirus program and she uses the Windows Firewall. Ever since the reinstallation she's been getting kicked off the internet at random intervols. Something like every 5-10 minutes. I haven't seen it for myself so I'm going on what she told me.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Can someone recommend a connection optimizer to stablize her connection?

Thanks in advance.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hey Colonel,

Just a start, have her check Internet Options > Connections > Settings > Advanced > Make sure that one of the Disconnect boxes is not checked.

Steve

3. izzugotom

izzugotom Private E-2

Yes,

There's a timeout setting if Idle after so many minutes...

or

If after E-Mail has been read or sent, it may be set to disconnect

or

If she has more than one user account, and it was not set to stay on over switching accounts, it will drop.

or,

Line with noise.....

or

Her telecom account options, say wait call, if incoming call received, a tone is sent, upsets the modem, and it chucks you off.

or

A bad modem....Is it USB without it's own chipset ?? Then try reinstalling software. Modems without their own chipsets, relies heavily on extra software, to work...

4. shinji

shinji Private E-2

here! maybe this will help him.. http://www.iopus.com/download.htm

If he use norton firewall, there is already one connection keep alive include with so.. try it, U'll see.. can do miracle for those ISP who disconnect U cause of a time-out connection.

chears!

5. lschmidt

lschmidt Private E-2

I have disconnects occur too.Sometimes it seems to be the ISP doing it as I
    can one time be online for hours without a disconnect occuring and yet another time disconnects will happen every 10 minutes or so. The ISP always
    says it's my computer.If it was you'd think disconnects would happen all the time.

6. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everybody. :) I'm going to her place tomorrow to try and help so I'll post my results tomorrow.

Again, thanks. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds