My Hard Drive Will Not Stop Spinning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raheel, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Raheel

Raheel Private E-2

My Hard Drive Will Not Stop Spinning, and I have cleaned all the Adaware even though I didnt have anything, I ran virus scanners and everything, it just seems the Hard Drive light stays lit and my computer has gotten slow because of it, Dont know what it is??

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Read through this thread and work through the cleanup proceedures.

Then post the results along with some details of your system, particularly the hard drive, and operating system.

Also copy off your data and any folders called drivers to somewhere else, in case the hard drive is beginning to fail.

Drive manufacturers provide simple free diagnostic programs for their own products. If you identify the make we can post the relevant link.

Look in device manager under disk drives, it should be listed by name.

Studio T

3. Raheel

Raheel Private E-2

What thread are you talking about? I have a Sony Vaio Laptop FS850, it has a 4200 RPM Fujitsu 100 GB Hard Drive

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I do apologise , Raheel, especially as I can't find the thread at the moment.
    Never mind you can check the drive status by downloading the Fujitsu prog

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Fujitsu_Diagnostic_IDE_d2856.html

Run this and post again with the result.

If your drive is healthy, then it may be an indexing service, either Windows or Google or it may be Malware we can check on that.

Look at for cleanup

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119683

and

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119833

Studio T

5. Raheel

Raheel Private E-2

Drive is Healthy and I ran Several Different TESTS, all PASSED! :)

6. Raheel

Raheel Private E-2

SFC Was Done, Check Disk was Done, Defragmentation Was Done, Useless Programs were removed, Adaware, Trojan Remover, SpyBot All SCANNED.

I Also Took the Hard Drive out and Put it Back in.

Still The Light Under the Hard Drive Symbol My laptop is on Constantly, Soon as Power Turns on, No Matter if you are sitting Idle in Dos or Windows or Doing Anything, That light will NEVER Turn off, as long as the Computer is on? Is this a Motherboard or Bios Problem?

Its not just a Faulty Light because, I have noticed my Computer running slower as the Hard Drive is Always Running!?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

That really only leaves malware, doesn't it?

Before you work through the malware forum you might try and identify the process which is running and apparently stealing your resources by the following.

Look in task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) at both the programs and processes.

Look also in system configuration utility (start>run>typein msconfig)
    See what is starting with windows in the start tab.
    Remove you internet connection cable. Does it stop?

Studio T

8. Raheel

Raheel Private E-2

Like I said, It is not Malware because it is not happening just in Windows, it is happening 24/7, before the bios even stars, I have done everythign you are speaking of, it seems like something totally different, I guess I will have to call Sony Support and see..

9. Finsnake

Finsnake Private E-2

I found the hint to this on another site, but more people will see it here. His DVD drive had gone south. Just for yah's I checked my drives. There was a corrupted disc in my burner. For two or three days my machine has been running SLOW, like taking minutes to open a simple program, crashing browsers, etc. HORRIBLE performance. Drive light ALWAYS on. Took out disc, light stops flashing and away we go. Problem solved!

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Finsnake, I see you are new here, welcome to Major Geeks.

Please note the date on this thread.

But, thank you for reporting your experience, It may be useful to someone else.

:major

11. Finsnake

Finsnake Private E-2

I noticed the date before I replied, but this thread came up very high in my search so I figured the date doesn't matter if the solution works!

Thanks ofr everything over the years. I was suprised I wasn't a member already.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds