My internet connection has gotten worse.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by megacorn, Sep 3, 2011.

1. megacorn

megacorn Private E-2

Alright, this is kind of a long story, so you're gonna have to be all ears for it. Well, all eyes, I guess. :p So around the beginning of summer, my internet connection suddenly got worse. I didn't change any of my equipment or change my ISP in any way. This change in connection quality didn't effect my browsing too much, but it really took a toll on my Xbox 360 online gaming. I went from perfect 4-bar connection to average 3-bar connection. So to try to get my internet connection back to how it used to be, I upgraded my Comcast ISP plan from the standard service to the high-speed "Blast" service. (I had been planning to do this anyway.) This made the connection slightly better, but still not as good as it used to be. I now got 3-4 bars, but even at 4 bars it wasn't as good as it used to be. So I called Comcast and asked why this is happening, and they just said that it was fine, but I know that there was change. Please, does anyone know how I can get my connection back to how it used to be. Whenever I play Xbox Live now, everything is slightly delayed, like for example when I shoot an enemy in Call of Duty the hitmarker is slightly late. It might not sound like much of a big deal but I really miss the smooth gameplay I had before. Please help.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi megacorn and welcome to MGs.

Hmmm, beginning of summer? More kids at home on school vacation using the internet could be dragging down the signal from Comcast.
    I assume you are using a router, so you could try a firmware update if available for that.
    I don't use the Xbox so I don't know if there are updates available for it that would possibly help.
    Assuming a wireless connection, any changes in positioning of router or Xbox or additions of any items that could possibly be interfering with the signal?

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Try just wiping all network settings from the 360 network panel and then recreate your connection. Shut it off after removing the connection info, then start it back up (it is a form of PC, reboots are good for it ;) ), and enter all network info all over again.

After that, run the network test and watch it during the test. If there are connection errors, it will tell you where they are. Go to System -> Network Settings -> Test Xbox Live Connection to run the test.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds