My internet connection is so slow

Discussion in 'Software' started by Taraj, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Hi, I went on holiday for a few weeks internet fine when I left. For the last four or five days my internet connection has been really slow it takes ages to open a internet page and sometimes times out so have to start again. I am with NTL Broadband who are not great but have had no problems with them before. I went online to there medic box they said I have to contact AVG (I have the free edition) to disable AVG to see if this would be causing the problem I very much doubt it is. Any ideas?

Tara

2. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

Do you have Windows XP Home or Professional and let Automatic Update install new updates recently (after returning from holiday)?

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Thank you have installed cc cleaner , yes I have windows xp can not remember if updates installed they might have done when they pop up I usually let them run there course, could this have been the problem?

5. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Ok so I have added cc cleaner which cleared up quite a few bits I also purchased it for the year as it had a few more which I had to pay to remove. The internet connection is still running really slowly. I am sure it is my internet provider NTL and not anything else any other ideas what it could be? It takes ages for a webpage to open its doing my head in!

Tara

6. TimW

You didn't uninstall AVG or disable it, did you? ....does it find anything when it scans?
    CCleaner ran both cleaner and issues?
    Security settings in IE tools?

test your speeds:
    http://www.testmy.net/

Check for out of date pages in your user files.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  7. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Not touched AVG what should I look out for in Security settings in IE tools? I will test my speed and see what it comes up with. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how I get on.

Tara

8. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

These are the results I should have 1mg of speed with my broadband NTL

Your connection is: 954 Kbps or 0.95 Mbps
    You Downloaded at: 116 kB/s
    You are running: 17 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 8.83 second(s)
    Member Ident: CompID:796156153
    Test Time:: 2006/06/29 - 2:12pm
    Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
    Test ID: NKTH37PE6 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
    Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 35.1 % of your hosts average (ntl.com)
    This was tested from a 1013 kB file and took 8.703 seconds to complete

I do not understand any of it is it running at the 1mg speed it should be?

9. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

These are the results I should have 1mg of speed with my broadband NTL

Your connection is: 954 Kbps or 0.95 Mbps
    You Downloaded at: 116 kB/s
    You are running: 17 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 8.83 second(s)
    Member Ident: CompID:796156153
    Test Time:: 2006/06/29 - 2:12pm
    Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)
    Test ID: NKTH37PE6 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)
    Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 35.1 % of your hosts average (ntl.com)
    This was tested from a 1013 kB file and took 8.703 seconds to complete

I do not understand any of it is it

10. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

Well, it says you have 1Meg speed.
    The problem is not the internet connection.
    I have a similar problem.
    It occurred after installing updates from MS, that's why I asked.

For comparison:
    Is browsing the net constantly slow, or does is fluctuate?
    Like one moment it takes minutes to download a page and another moment it is fast (normal).

If so, does it seem your computer is pre-occupied with doing something that slows other functions/programs?

I uninstalled all the latest XP updates, except Windows Genuine Advantage.
    That one cannot be uninstalled.
    Still got the same problem

11. TimW

12. morpheus

morpheus Private E-2

Hi to you all who sufffered at the hand of MS updates...

the first security update kb911280 knocked out my dial up connection and MS is now offering the 'new and improved' kb911280 but l will wait a while before l install it... as for windows genuine advantage there is also going to be a new version soon too...some people called this windows genuine spyware
    and l didn't install this update but it seems MS updates gets you one way or another...if thats what slowing your computers down

13. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

@Morpheus

I read that Wga might be the troublemaker, so I am going to remove it from the system. I will inform you of any progress.

14. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Hi TimW still having trouble its so slow to open any intetnet pages its putting me off going on line anything else you think it could be? Sniff sniff boo hoo

15. rockerz

rockerz Private First Class

ad aware
    spyware hogging your system

16. Dorre

Dorre Private E-2

Did you already try to reset your modem (and router, if any)?

17. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Hi yes have reset system. What do you mean ad aware spyware hogging your system?

My pc also keeps sometime just shutting itself down with the following error would this have anything to do with it: error says:

C:docume~1\user\locals~1\Temp\WER8b46.dir00\iexplore.exe.mdmp
    C:docume~1\user\locals~1\Temp\WER8b46.dir00\appcompat.txt

18. theefool

theefool Geekified

Are you getting a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death), duing these shutdowns?

Check the following:

Right click on My Computer, select properties, click the Advanced Tab, then within "Startup and Recovery Settings", uncheck Automatic Restart. Press Ok, Ok....

This will only help us troubleshoot the shutdown process. Maybe. :)

What browser are you using? IE, FF, Opera? If IE, try another browser and see if you have the same issues.

I'm not promoting an alternative browser, just wondering if IE (if it is IE) is having issues, or your overall internet is congested somehow.

FF:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2248

Opera:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=559

19. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Hi not getting a blue screen just a windows error message box then it shuts itself down very annoying have unchecked Automatic Restart to see if this helps. I not sure what you mean (being a bit thick) what browser am I using the icon that i click on is internet explorer.

Tara

20. TimW

Did you empty the temp files? - thetwo that you alluded to?

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

I was just curious if just IE (internet explorer) was having these issues.

Yes, clearing the %temp% files and clearing cookies, and internet cache MAY help.

22. Taraj

Taraj Private E-2

Yes cleared all those ages ago I not sure how else to speed it up. Do you think that the slow internet could also have something to do with the pc giving windows errors and shutting down?

23. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for this link. I've been following it to the information about dowloading .net and here I stumble into a problem which is relevant for me. It asks which language I want to download it in and states that 2 versions with different languages cannot be installed. I don't know when it comes to computers what this language question refers to. I'm an English speaker with a German language computer. There are cases where I can't download an update from MS, because it says I have the wrong language. If I'm using both English and German websites, does it matter which language RSS and .net I have? Or, having a German computer, do I even have a choice about which .net gets downloaded? I'm not sure if this matters, because if .net is part of the regular windows updates, I may already have it, but this language problem keeps coming up again and again, because I don't know what it's referring to.
    thanks!
    abri subdood

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds