My keyboard isn't workin.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xhayatox, May 18, 2011.

1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

This morning I woke up and my keyboard wasn't working properly. I was trying to type in my password to log into my account, and it kept typing 'two letters' per key. I thought it was strange and I restarted my computer. The problem persisted and then I started pressing everything at once to try and fix it. That didn't work. I attempted to unplug it from the USB several times and upon restarting my computer, the keyboard isn't working PERIOD. The light on it is clearly on, but the actual keys aren't working. When I press them it doesn't generate a letter. It just stays blank but the keyboard is on. What gives

2. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hello,
    Could the keys on the keyboard have gone bad?

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Have you tried your keyboard in safemode (F8 at boot), did you install any drivers for this device ?? have you tried it on another machine, as to rule out the usb port, or have you tried it in another port on the machine??. What brand of keyboard are you using and what OS is installed ??

iain.t :major

4. xhayatox

I tried safeboot, but it wouldn't work because the computer isn't registering the key inputs. The keyboard is clearly turned on but for some reason its just not working. It's a cheap dell keyboard and I've had it for about two years. I tried plugging it into my laptop but it didn't seem to work. I'm going to try to plug it into my PS3 and see if that works. I don't know what the hell went wrong. I just turned my computer off as usual, and all of a sudden when I awoke the keyboard started malfunctioning. I was trying to input my password in the morning and it worked fine but the only problem was, whenever I would type the letter "H" it would type two letters instead of one so my password kept being incorrect. So the keyboard was already giving me problems. Then I started mashing all the keys on it and once and when I restarted it, thats when this happened. The green light is on the keyboard but none of the keys are going through. I haven't installed anything that might have caused this to happen so its just weird. I have no idea whats wrong with it. The cord isn't ripped and it seems like its fine but the computer just isnt registering the key strokes. I can't get into safe mode, I can't get into my accounts,etc. Nothing is jammed in the keys either so thats not the problem.

5. xhayatox

EDIT: I just tried plugging the keyboard into my PS3, and it doesn't seem to be working with that either. So I definitely think that my computer isn't the problem but something is wrong with the keyboard. I don't understand what the hell happened to it.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Seems like a new keyboard is required, these are fairly cheap to pick up now.

8. xhayatox

I dont understand whats going on guys. I left my PC on last night and a few buttons started working once again, and now I plug my keyboard back in again today, and every single key n it seems to be working except the 'o' button. What in the world is going on?

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

It may be that the cord has somehow became damaged, whilst it is working try updating the driver for it, you never know it may well be just a corrupt driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds