My keyboard makes to many spaces!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pedobear702, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Hello :)
    My keyboard make alot spaces when i press the space button, as you can see here...

It starts about 5 minutes after i log on my computer.
    It's really annoying also when i do my homework.
    I was thinking if i should buy a new keyboard but i would try to ask you guys first :)
    I hope you can help me!

2. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

here is a picture

Attached Files:

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

I assume you have a PC. Is it a USB keyboard, or is it wireless with USB connection? Try unplugging and plug in again. Then try unplugging, reboot and plug in.
    You may need to update your keyboard driver.

4. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Yes i have a computer and a USB keyboard. unplugging and plugging in again don't work.
    How do i update my keyboard driver?

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

If you are using XP, go to: Start>Right click on My Computer>Click on Properties>Click on Device Manager>Expand Keyboards>Right click on your keyboard> Click on Properties>Go to Driver tab.
    Click on Uninstall, then reboot.

If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the USB drivers (or you could do both at once).

I don't have Vista or W7, so if you have one of those you will have to try to work it out, or wait for someone who knows.

6. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

So far it seems like it worked.
    And BTW i have Win7 and it's the same way as XP with the driver update and all that.

I will come back later if it starts making spaces again.

7. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

So far so good. Thanks for the feedback, and for the W7 info.:)

8. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

You are welcome, and it doesn't make those spaces anymore! Thanks for the help :)

9. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Good news. You're welcome.:)

10. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

hello!
    It started doing it again so i bought a new keyboard, but it still makes those spaces and it's driving me nuts!!!!

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could you give us the Windows version you are actually using now (plus service pack if applicable) as you mention XP and Win7, what are you using on the PC affected?

What is the make and model of Keyboard?

If you boot into Safe Mode do you get the same issue of multiple spaces?

What are your installed security applications, please name all of them?

12. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

im using windows 7 home premium.
    The model of the new keyboard is Logitech.
    And i still get the problem in safe mode.

My security softwares is:
    Pc tools firewall plus.
    Microsoft security essentials 2.
    Malwarebytes antimalware.

13. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    I am not sure if this will work but go to Control Panel and in the "Search Control Panel" box type "Keyboard". Click Keyboard and then move the slider of "Repeat Delay" toward the left side ("Long") and see if that helps.

14. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Thank you that helped! :)

15. tgell

Glad it worked out for you. Hopefully it will stay that way.

16. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

this is really annoying!
    it is starting to do it again! :cry

17. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Merry Christmas (Christmas morning here).
    You wouldn't have two firewalls running would you? PC Tools firewall and MS Security Essentials?

18. tgell

Does it help if you go back in the Control Panel and slow the "Repeat Rate" also?

19. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

We had christmas yesterday (denmark) :p

But no it asked me to activate the windows firewall but i said no.

And i have tried that too tgell, but that didn't work either.

Merry christmas to u! :)

20. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Just out of interest, have you tried a different USB port. Especially, if you are using a front port, try one at the back.
    Another thing you could try (low probability, but easy to do) is to turn off your computer, unplug it, and hold the on button for 30 seconds. Then reboot.
    Also, if you happen to have an old PS2 keyboard around, try that too.

21. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

i have tried different usb ports in the front and in the back, but without luck.

22. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

How long has it been dong this? Did you make any changes to the computer just before it started?
    Can you Restore back to a time when it wasn't doing it, and see if that makes a difference? You can then bring it back to its current state if you want to.

23. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

BTW, did you reinstall the USB drivers, or just the keyboard drivers (back when we started on this)?

24. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

it has been doing this for about 1-1½ months.
    And i don't know if i can restore that much back.
    And i think i only reinstalled the keyboard drivers.

How do i reinstall the usb drivers?

25. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Same as for keyboard, but in Device Manager, look for Universal Serial Bus Controllers instead of Keyboards.

26. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Now i've done that, i'll come back if it starts again :)

27. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

And it did start again :(

28. DavidGP

Hi

What model Logitech keyboard is it? (need to know this as some models may have documented problems that have a FAQ and fix patch) and did you install the driver that they supply or the defualt one that Windows installs?

If the Logitech one then uninstall it and reboot, then this should allow Windows to install its basic default driver.

29. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

30. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

It' seems unlikely to be keyboard issues, since it is doing the same thing on the new keyboard.
    I'm wondering if it could be a problem with a particular application. When does the problem occur - in Word (assuming you are using MS Office), emails, etc?
    Have you tried it in Notepad or Wordpad (under Accessories in XP)?
    If you're not using MS Office, what are you using?
    Do you have any keyboard enhancements installed?
    Do have a look at your Restore options - you might have a Restore point back far enough.

31. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

It starts making the spaces 5-10 minutes after i start my computer, sometimes later.

It makes the spaces in MS office word, notepad, steam, and all websites.

I don't have any keyboard enhancements installed. (i haven't installed them by my self then.)

In my restore options, i only have the option to go back 3 days.

Is there somehow i can restore my whole computer? I know i will lose all my data on the computer but i'm okay with it.

32. DavidGP

Hi

In Windows 7 click Start then type into the Start Search Box ~ accessibility and then from the list choose Change How Your Keyboard Works, (or can get to it from Control Panel Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center)

Then make make sure nothing is ticked and click apply.

Yes you can re-install Windows quite easily and do you have the Original DVD for Win7? if so then backup all your important files etc to a DVD or external HDD etc

Then you can follow this good guide to installing Windows 7 HERE

BUT personally dont go that route just yet, we can still try a few other things out first.

33. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

I suppose you could check for a hardware conflict:

1. Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
    3. Right-click your sound card, and then click Properties.
    4. On the Resources tab, see if there are any conflicts listed in the Conflicting device list.
    I also just read that it can help to disconnect the keyboard before uninstalling/reinstalling its drivers. You may like to try that again.

BTW, you normally wouldn't lose your documents and things if you did end up repairing your Windows installation, but, as DavidGPsaid, you should back up, just in case.

34. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Re: My keyboard makes too many spaces!

BTW, do you have anything else plugged into a USB port that might be drawing a lot of power?
    Interesting that the problem isn't there immediately. Could you have an overheating problem?
    Do you run anti-malware and is your computer 'clean'?
    It looks like you can get up to 5 spaces between words. Is that right?
    I see that you're running an English keyboard on a Danish(?) Word installation. I don't know what that might do. Perhaps DavidGP will be able to say if that could give rise to an issue.

35. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

What happens if you use the Onscreen keyboard (under Accessibility) and press the space bar?

36. DavidGP

Re: My keyboard makes too many spaces!

Hi GCWesq, it shouldnt do as the spacebar is the main constant on all keyboard layouts. Plus the space issue is not tied to Word or Notpad alone, but happening in IE etc

Although its a good thought and couldnt hurt to change the keyboard language back to native Danish to test.

With the same issue happening in Safe Mode, I feel its not a software or 3rd party software issue, but more a Windows or Driver issue, so just in case I have missed the question and answer, in Device manager do you have any yellow ! marks by any device, if so what?

Also please tell us what Make and Model your PC is (say Dell, HP, ACER etc) or if a home build what is the Motherboard Make and Model?

This should help find this info for you if you dont know it off-hand

37. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

DavidGP: I don't have the original dvd for win7, and none was ticked in the accessibility. And there is a yellow ! next to: Storage Device Controllers, and under that there is something called: A2C3OT25 IDE controller, but without the yellow ! And my computer is an Acer Aspire M5300

GCWesq: I don't know if i was looking the right place but i couldn't find any conflicts. And i also tried unplugging before installing the keyboard again. And i only have a mouse and a keyboard plugged into the usb drives. I don't have a headset anymore but i will soon get a new. And i have scanned my computer with: MalwareBytes AntiMalware, ESET Online Scanner, Microsoft Security Essentials 2 and SuperAntiSpyware, but none of them found anything. And yes i get 5 spaces between words. And when i use the onscreen keyboard it doesn't make those spaces.

38. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Sorry!!!

There is a yellow ! next to A2C3OT25 IDE controller, not Storage Device Controller!

39. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Thanks DavidGP. And you got a 'hit' on the yellow !. Could that be the problem? I don't have that item on my XP, so I'm not sure how to fix it.
    The fact that the onscreen keyboard works might help to eliminate some possibilities.

It might also pay to check your Universal Serial Bus items in Device Manager and see if there is one there called:
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    or similar (looking for the word 'enhanced'). I'm just wondering if you have USB 2.0 or USB 1.1 (which you might have on an older computer). That wouldn't explain why this thing started only recently, or why it takes 5 minutes or so to start happening, but it might contribute to a problem.

40. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Suddenly my onscreen keyboard space button doesn't work, but all other buttons work.

And in my device manager i have 2 called: Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, and i'm using USB 2.0

41. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Curiouser and curiouser!
    As far as I know, there should only be one Standard Enhanced...
    Try this:
    In Device Manager, go to the View tab at the top, and select Device by Connection.
    Then go down to the Std Enhanced controllers and expand them. If one of them isn't doing anything (no devices attached to it), disable it (right click on it for menu), and see if that makes any difference (don't reboot, or it will probably just put it back again).
    It might be a good idea at this stage to post a screen shot of your Device Manager tree, as well.
    Interesting that the onscreen space bar no longer works - do you mean not at all, or it's acting the same way as the keyboard space bar?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  42. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Okay.... When i go to the device manager and go to the top and select view, and then device by connection i get this. (picture attached) And i don't know which i should select.

Attached Files:

43. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

My Danish isn't all that good, but you need to expand the items that can be expanded to see what's under them.

44. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

Here is it.

Attached Files:

45. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

G'day.
    You should now be able to expand the two Standard Enhanced controllers to see what each is doing.
    There's this question from DavidGP to answer as well.
    In fact there are a couple of things from him that you still need to have a look at. It would pay you to go back through this thread and see what things are still to be done, just in case this track we're now on leads nowhere.
    David GP is likely to know more about this than me, as well, so it would be good to keep responding to his posts. I'm just trying some things on the way, as you and I seem to be on at the same time a bit, so I just thought it might be quicker if I kept on with this as well. :)
    I see your yellow exclamation mark in there as well on the IDE Controller. That's could be a problem. What do you see if you open that (right click and check properties)? Anything about the device not working?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  46. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

My computer is an Acer Aspire M5300, is there more you want to know about it?

If there is something i misses, just tell me.

And here is a picture of the 2 Standard enhanced controllers.

Attached Files:

47. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Sorry. My mistake... you already said that. I think I was thinking of the suggestion to try changing your keyboard language back to Danish, and see what happens.
    Also, what does the onscreen space bar do - does it not work at all, or does it make extra spaces, like the normal space bar?

You said earlier that you don't have any USB devices plugged in except the mouse and keyboard. Is that still true? Reason for asking is that I expected to see the keyboard and mouse show up under Standard Enhanced listing, but it looks like they're not there. I my be wrong about that - maybe they are run by other USB controllers. Can you find them? Also, it looks like you have 5 other devices plugged in to USB ports - the five listed under the second Standard Enhanced controller.

Anyway, while you're poking around in there, try disabling the first Std Enhanced controller. There is nothing connected to that. I don't know why it's there - although I'm only going by what I've seen on a few computers. There may be a reason for it... but it won't hurt to try disabling it.

Also, what does it say under the IDE controller with the yellow '!' (right click and look at properties)?

48. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

The onscreen keyboard doesn't make spaces at all.

I still don't have other USB devices plugged in, but if i get some other, i will tell you.

I have disabled the first Std Enhanced controller.

And if it helps i can tell you that the 5 drivers in the second all is located in System32.

You said you couldn't find the mouse and keyboard in the two standard enhanced controllers. I found them in another place. (picture attached)

And under the IDE controller with the yellow ! it says: Windows can't load the device driver to the hardware. The driver is possibly damaged or is missing. (code 39)

Attached Files:

49. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

OK. I just jumped on my son's Vista PC and saw stuff very similar to yours - including TWO enhanced USB controllers. However, the reason I was looking at it was to see if his USB wireless keyboard and mouse were under the enhanced controller or another. Everything on his is under one of teh enhanced controllers. Same on mine (although I only have two USB devices plugged in).
    So it seems to me that your keyboard and mouse should also be under the enhanced controller. Not sure how to get them there, but you could try just disabling the controller that teh keyboard is under, and see if it jumps to the enhanced controller. And if it does, see if that fixes the problem. In the meantime, I'll have a look and see if I can find something that says if it's normal or not to have the keyboard and mouse as you have them.
    On the IDE controller matter, do you have a CD player or something that is not working? Do you by any chance have Daemon Tools installed?

50. pedobear702

pedobear702 Private E-2

When i tried to disable the controllers with my mouse and keyboard, they stopped working so i enabled them again. They didn't jump over to the other.

I don't have daemon tools anymore. And what do you mean with CD Player? Do you mean cd/dvd drive? if it is, then yes, i have one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds