My Laptop is making a wierd noise.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huntingdog0, Mar 3, 2009.

1. huntingdog0

huntingdog0 Private First Class

I don't know what it's called heat sink maybe. Anyway I think it is the fan that keeps making a noise like its scratching or hitting something when it kicks on. I don;t know if it is a serious problem and if it is easy to fix myself but it usuually starts making that sound when I transport it and turn it on but after a while it will stop scratching as if it ajusts and it will never make that noise again until i transport it again and it seems as if I offset it or something. Thanks:)

2. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

Hard to know exactly what it is unless you pull it down so you can see what is happening or you have experience and can take an educated guess just by the sound. Sounds like it's a bearing in the CPU fan, or worse, the hard drive. Really though if either of those go your in trouble.
    Either try to narrow it down by yourself but if you have no experience you may be better off just taking it in for repair.
    Oh and if you haven't backed up recently do it now. If it is the drive it could go any time (well this is always the case actually).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds