My Laptop keeps shutting down for no reason

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brad1431, Jul 7, 2010.

1. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

My laptop is setup like a desktop using a docking station. My laptop is plugged into the surge protector. After about half an hour to 45 minutes of use WHILE plugged in, the laptop gets hot and shuts down for no reason.

IF I have the laptop not plugged in, it will run until the battery dies without shutting off.

Obviously, I want to keep it plugged in, but not have it shut off. I have tried cleaning out the fan, I bought a new AC adapter.

The next thing I am going to try is one of those cooling mats, but I dont think that is going to solve it.

I took it to Best Buy and Staples, but I refuse to pay more than $100 to fix this issue, as this laptop is only 2 years old and I spent $1500 on it.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this without spending a lot of money?

Thanks

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I think it could be related to overheating and heres why, depending on your settings, while plugged in the cpu has full voltage, on battery it reduces it, saving energy plus heat. While plugged in, try changing power optitions in control panel and see if that helps. ed

3. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

I have the power setting on balanced. So I dont think that is a problem.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

5. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

I downloaded this and the temp is around 80-84. Does that mean anything?

6. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

now it is up to 91

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I assume that's in Celcius. That's hot as hell. Mine runs around 37.

If true, this is the reason it is shutting itself off.

Is the fan running?

Where do you have the laptop placed? On a hard surface and not on any material? Most lappys have bottom vents that should not be obstructed.

8. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

it is on a hard wood surface, but it is angled because of the battery, so below the laptop there is some space. I am going to get one of those fan mats to put under it, but I still dont think that really addresses the issue.

I dont want to spend more than $100 to fix this, cause it really isnt a big issue, I dont want to hear nonsense like I have to replace my motherboard or any crap like that.

I have it unplugged now and it is around 60 and yes I can hear the fan going at times.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

So it runs 30 degrees cooler on battery power. Wow.

Do you have a voltmeter? I would check that the voltage from the ac adaptor is what is specified on the adaptor case. Hopefully the problem is there, else it is an internal one.

What type of a surge protector are you using? I'd check the voltage coming out of there as well. I assume you're in the U.S., should be around 120. Depending on the type of protector you are using, it is at theoritically possible to have am improper voltage out of there, though I've never seen that.

I'm afraid that's about all you can do unless you are willing to open up the lappy. List the make and model, there may be somebody here who could walk you through that.

10. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

I did open the laptop and clean the fan, it is a Dell Studio 1537 laptop

11. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Check the exhaust heat, is hot air being blown out, or just warm or cool air??? If the air is hot, that means the heatsink is pulling heat from the cpu, if barely warm or cool means the heatsink is maybe loose or the heatsink grease is bad, and yes this does happen. ed

12. brad1431

brad1431 Private E-2

it is hot air

13. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

A laptop cooling fan has two speeds, on some models it runs full go at start up then slows down, some dont run on high till a certain degree of heat is reached, have you noticed a different speed at any time? Maybe your high speed is not working, even if its not it shouldnt shut down at idle, if you havent allready, blow it out with canned air. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds