MY Laptop Monitor Display Goes Black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frierc, Jan 8, 2010.

1. frierc

frierc Private E-2

Good Day Major Geeks...

I own a Toshiba A135-2276 Laptop.
    I bought it brand new about 3+ Years ago
    dual core 1.6ghz
    1.5GB of memory
    ati radeon 200M Xpress

I reinstalled the operating system about 4days ago for the new year.

I don't know what's going on, but I do remember having a tough go at installing the correct display driver. I installed and then uninstalled the display driver. Back and forth a hand ful of times.

Well... I was sitting here after thinking I had finally installed the proper display driver and the screen went black. Not noticing that the computer was still on, I ended up turning the computer off and then on again. The display stayed on for about 5minutes and then went black again.
    I closed the lid and then opened the lid and the display stays on for about 4seconds and goes black again and again and again. I connected my external monitor using the s-video input and the external monitor works with no problem. When the computer is starting up, I can see 2seconds of the Toshiba Boot Screen and then darkness...
    After a moment, I can see the windows logo and then bam, back to darkness... as I'm sitting here, I'm looking very hard at the screen and I can see that the screen is on, but that it is just very/extremely dark.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.:major:cry:confused:wave

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you can make out shadows (not completly black) it means that your backlight is going.
    I'm not clear on this: Does the external monitor remain on or does it too shut off after a few seconds?
    If it shuts off, then it isn't the backlight on the laptop but probably the wrong displaydriver.

3. frierc

frierc Private E-2

If you can make out shadows (not completly black) it means that your backlight is going.
    I'm not clear on this: Does the external monitor remain on or does it too shut off after a few seconds?
    If it shuts off, then it isn't the backlight on the laptop but probably the wrong displaydriver.

:majorThe External Monitor Does remain on...
    I'm ready to believe that perhaps the INVERTER is the problem??????

:banghead

The Laptops' Monitor Screen comes on at start for 3seconds and goes black and then comes back on right before the logon screen and stays on for 3seconds and stays black.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

This therefore rules out faulty video card on the laptop. The problem lies with the panel / backlight, inverter or LCD lid switch.

At the moment when the laptop panel goes blank, get a flash light and see whether you can see anything on the panel.

Here is guide I wrote on another forum when I was having difficulties with a panel and this area I research extensively. In the first instance as per plodr's comments, one needs to find out if the panel itself is faulty ie backlight (see below)

As per guide above it could very well be that the inverter is faulty or indeed more than one issue could be plaging your system ie faulty inverter & backlight.

From the symptoms you have described, I would say strongly syspect this to be a faulty LCD lid switch.

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds