my laptop overheating and memory problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john87, Jul 16, 2008.

1. john87

john87 Private E-2

ok my laptop is a hp pavillion dv5000 and for a week now ive discovered my computer crashes or automatically shuts down when something big? is being installed (i was reinstalling windows xp). Now i dont know a lot about computers so i decided (from looking at different forums) it was a clogged fan or heatsink problem. I then took a small vaccuum and tried sucking dust or flint out of it without opening it. Didnt work. I then tried putting a bag of ice near the fan to try to install windows xp real quick, it worked for a bit, but then i ran into my next problem.

after lookign through different forums it seems i cannot copy files or something like that, and it seems its a bad RAM or memory problem.

now my questions are, can any1 tell me how to fix this without going to a professional and paying lots of money.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

You can pick up a can of compressed air at walmart's stationery section. Blow the dust out. Do NOT blow the screen as dust will get stuck underneath.

Then put a book or whatever under the laptop so that there's some clearance between the bottom of the laptop and the surface. It's a poor man's cooling solution for laptops. And you can have a fan blowing on the laptop.

Write this to a disk and boot it up for 5 passes:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

3. john87

john87 Private E-2

ok well ive heard about using that also and i was goign to try to buy some compressed air, but i knew i shouldnt of messed with my computer more, now the monitor hinge area is broken and the cd rom will not open at all.
    I've decided to try to open up the cd rom manually and remove my windows xp home edition disc and then pack up the computer and all its part and send it to my brother who knows a lot about that hopefully it can be fixed. But thank you very much anyways =D

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Shut downs are using an indication of either overheating or a failing power supply.

5. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

its very likely over heating... HP pavillions have 3 fans located on the bottom of the computer why the hell they decided that i dont know... my dads laptop does it, he has it proped up at the back and its fine now

6. john87

john87 Private E-2

yea i think it is, yet i dont know how exactly to take it apart. i took all the screws out on the back and not much came apart. also now i get a black screen popping up wen i start my computer saying "error loading operating system"

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Here is the HP Manual for how to take you laptop apart, if you're feeling adventurous enough to tackle it yourself.

I personally have done it and it's not that scary if you are technically and mechanically inclined. But don't let me convince you to do something you are actually uncomfortable doing.

But here is the link if you want to take a look at it...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700959.pdf

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds