My Laptop will not detect any disks! Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by annabellea, Dec 26, 2010.

1. annabellea

annabellea Private E-2

I have an Acer Aspire 5738 and I am using Windows 7.

A few weeks ago I downloaded some software and I noticed afterwards that when I opened my itunes a warning messagae would pop up and still does waarning me that the burner on itunes won't work and that it could have been caused by me installing otehr burning software, I hadn't been using any disks in my laptop at the time and never noticed that my laptop will not detect any disks either - my problem is that I cannot remember what software it was that I downloaded.
    When I put a disk into my laptop nothing at all happens like that drive doesnt even come up in my computer.

So I just went in to my devices and my CD-rom device is showing a warning message - when I click for the device status this is what I get:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

I really am lost as to what to do next - any advice?
    Thank you :)

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

This may be a malware issue. I would post a new thread over in the Malware Removal Forum and if your logs are clean, come back here and someone will help. Do you remember what software you installed?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try either of these fixes HERE or HERE as one of the issues that can affetc CD/DVD drives are the Upper and Lower Filters, these can become corrupt if different applicatons that install or use them conflict, CD Burning apps, Video editing etc

You actually have the troubleshooters built into your Windows 7, just need to click Start and type troubleshooting into the Start Search box and choose Troubleshooting then click Hardware and Sound then choose the Playing and Buring CD, DVD etc option.

Once fixed you "may" need if your favoured CD buring app doesnt work properly to re-install it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds