My main hard drive has no drivers...help!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by BK_Malik, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

My C Drive has lost it's drivers. It's showing in Device manager with a exclamation point. Windows tries and fails to install it on very reboot and it's VERY annoying. I need some help trying to get the drivers to install correctly. Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could we have some PC specs?

Do you have any other devices in Device Manager with yellow ! marks?

Have you just re-installed Windows? or please give any other info about what software or hardwsare that may have changed in your PC, have you had malware reciently?

3. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Everest report below. PC is custom built: no model name or number.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  4. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

No other devices with ! marks.
    No malware, no software or hardware changes, no Windows re-installs.

5. DavidGP

Hi

Try installing the Nvidia all in 1 driver package ver: 1518 from HERE rebbot and see what happens, if you get any messages as to a driver loading and failing please post the message in full.

Any reason you have not updated to SP2 or 3 for XP from the RTM version as you will be missing many updates and soem fix driver issues as well as support for hard drives?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  6. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Already tried the Nvidia driver once with no effect. I didn't realize that the pc was on Sp2, since it is still new I thought it had come with SP3 on it. I'm at work now so I'll try the all-in-one one more time and update to SP3 then get back to you when I get home.

7. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

I just remembered that I have automatic updates turned on so why wouldn't SP3 show up on any of my update attempts?

Do you know how I can get it without using Windows update since it's not showing up as an available update for my pc?

8. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

I already have SP3, why makes you say that I don't have it? I am attaching my pc info screen.

When I did the NVIDIA driver download I got two failures:
    other PCI bridge device (this one I have never seen before)
    ST350064 1AS SCSI Disk device (this is the same failure that I started the thread about)

I have an ASROCK installation cd if there's anything on there that may help.

Attached Files:

• SP3.JPG
      SP3.JPG
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
  9. DavidGP

Hi

Your Everest log listed this

Yes you could try the drivers on the ASROCK CD, the driver I would be linking to the drivers for HDD are Chipset and SATA RAID drivers (dont need to be running RAID to need these), but in the main the SATA drivers on XP need to be installed on install of the OS.

You could also try from a command prompt > sfc scannow and see if any system files are corrupt, also run from a command prompt chkdsk to see if your C drive has errors, as its rare for a HDD to loose a driver without some sort of issue, be it malware, hardware error etc

10. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

I ran both scannow and chkdsk and nothing has changed. I can't find anywhere on the ASROCK cd to update Chipset and SATA RAID drivers, unless I'm missing something. Here's what the menus say are available:

Drivers
    All-in-one Driver
    USB 2.0 Driver
    Onboard VGA Driver
    HD Audio Driver and Application
    AMD CPU Driver

Utilities
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0c Driver
    Norton Internet Security
    ASROCK OC Tuner
    Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.12
    ASROCK IES
    ASROCK Instant Boot

Information
    (This menu has instructions only)
    What should I do now?
    BTW I have Kaspersky IS running and have had no malware issues at all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  11. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

In addition to this problem at the same time that this one started both of my dvd drives started malfunctioning also. Now neither one of them will determine what type of disk is inserted (no application icons will show up when a disk is inserted), and when I double click on the inserted drive it goes straight to the file window and won't open in the correct application. I've already cleared the filters and made sure the cd and dvd types were all linked to the right applications in the file types tab but I can't get this problem corrected either. Could the problems be related?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds