My media center is really messed up auto restarts, safe mode only etc....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nightcap, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Nightcap

Nightcap Private E-2

Hello, after typing in "my computer only starts in safe mode" you guys were the number one site so here I am. I see there are a lot of threads concerning auto restarts and safe mode probs but I dont know if my problem is exactly the same. For the for the past 3 months i have been trying to figure out whats going on with my comp and its just getting ridiculous now. I have an HP media center running WinXP.

Every time i start my computer it boots and then restarts itself 2 to 3 times after which I get registry error problems saying that a registry file couldn't be found and that an old one had to be recovered. Then i get a message saying that there is no restore file. And now it will only start in safe mode.

I have run spybot, adaware, hijackthis etc.. And I brought it in to a local repair shop (Peters PC Repair) where i was told that I had a couple bugs but nothing was really wrong. But here I am typing this up in safemode with all the same problems. Im at my wits end, what can I do?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

This kind of sounds like a memory issue. I've seen the registry problem you describe when there are errors with the RAM. I, however, haven't seen it go the extent of your PC only starting in safe mode. Usually the "blue screen of death" appears. However, you have been at it for three months.

Also, I've seen restart issues with Dell PCs after an SP3 update.

Just for giggles, try running Memtest86, ver. 3.5, and here is a link:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d1247.html

After downloading, open the contents, and burn the ISO. That is, make a CD-ROM.

Place it in your drive, and re-boot. Errors will be listen on the right side of the screen. Let us know the results.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did the missing registry errors start after the PC was repaired? Removing the "bugs" may have taken some needed files with it.

You need to make sure that the correct windows files are in all the proper locations. The best way to do this (yes it can be done from safe mode) is to click on the Start, then Run box and type in chkdsk /f
    Note there is a space between the word chkdsk and the / sign
    Give it time to scan your hard drive and fix the files.

4. the mekanic

That's a good idea.

I usually run from DOS, but I like that too!!!

5. the mekanic

It hit me this morning while I was out on the route that you may also have cyclic redundancy on your hard drive, which could explain alot of the errors. The results of a complete hard drive diagnostic would be very beneficial to ferreting out the problem. Putting a patch on a sidewall doesn't work so good...

I recommend you use a HDD diagnostic to determine the status of your drive.

I prefer MHDD, it's not on the site here, but you can find it.

Victoria is lauded, but unless you can read Cyrillic, I'd go with the other...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. the mekanic

P.S. Cyclic redundancy, in layman's terms, means that your HDD hasn't completely failed yet, but you may as well replace it now...

P.P.S. That means means back up your data (do that anyway), NOW.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

8. the mekanic

OK, OK, easy to use, and loved by this seasoned user as well...

I was going for a singular solution, but Ultimate Boot has alot of great options. (Like, whatever you want)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds