My Memory Is Really High

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

43% last check. I'm going through the processes that are taking up the highest memory but I don't know if some of them are safe to end. Firefox, of which I only have two windows open, is taking up 327.9 MB. The task manager itself is at 9.4. Adobe Flash Player is at 79.6. There's also another Adobe Flash Player that's only at 3.5. My Avast Antivirus is at 7.5 and my Avast Service is at 15.2. CaptureLibService, whatever that is, is at 8.2. The Extension Core is at 3.4. Host Process for Windows Tasks is at 4.4. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer is at 16. A Plugin Container for Firefox is at 3.6. audiodg.exe is at 6. WMI Provider Host is at 3.2. There's another WMI Provider Host at 1.1. My Desktop Window Manager is at 12.1. I've got several Service Host Processes that are running really high. And Windows Explorer is at 53.7.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Is it causing you an actual problem? By that I mean are programs running noticeably slow, opening up with big delays, browser tabs or windows hanging?
    If not, then forget about it. No usage problems means no actual problem.
    RAM is there to be used for efficiency, it's not 'money' to be saved at all costs.
    It is a very very common misconception that high memory use is a 'problem'. It is not.

If you want a general check up on your system then look at these two things:
    Start up programs - look at what starts up when the system is booted, there should not be many at all
    Services - have a look at Black Viper's recommended 'safe' configuration for your specific Operating System.
    http://www.blackviper.com/

One other thing, many programs like Adobe (all of them, Flash, Reader, Acrobat, Shockwave), Chrome, Java etc automatically include start up and service 'updaters' unless you have carefully unchecked or stopped them. They are a waste of system resources. They can all be updated manually as you see the new version releases here on MG.

Jesse Newell and Eldon like this.
  3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Great. Thanks for the help. And no, there isn't really any problem as such. It's just that the CPU is making a lot of noise. Very quiet noise. Nothing unusual, it's the sound it always makes. It's just constant.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK well that's not a 'memory' issue, it's a CPU issue. Maybe the inbuilt fan is not working great. You can find a free system temperature monitor on Majorgeeks to see if any part of your system is overheating. If the system is a desktop PC you can do some dust cleaning internally.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. It's a laptop. Should it be easier or harder to clean than a desktop? I don't know, I haven't used a desktop in almost 20 years. I have Hard Disk Sentinel already. It's telling me the system is at 32C. It says that's OK but what system temperature monitor would you recommend?

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I've never cleaned a laptop internally either so maybe someone else here will comment, or I'm sure a google search will give you guides and videos of doing it.

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. What about a system temperature monitor? Which one would you recommend?

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Never used any of them myself so I can't say. But any available on MG will have been tested safe.

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The CPU cannot possible make a noise.
    Try Real Temp.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/real_temp.html

10. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. But I don't know what does make that noise now. Anyway, can you have a look at my last post in the help uploaded private files thread? I'm now worried about whether a file sharing app can access the main user folder on your computer, C:\Users\YourName

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Stick to one thread at a time and best not to cross post or you might get the thread shut down.
    Maybe it's your FAN causing the noise.

12. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Shouldn't a fan make an, um, don't know what to call it, airy noise?

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No idea - why don't you research it a bit???

14. Eldon

What the heck makes you think the noise is related to Ozibox?
    The only hardware that could make a noise are the fans - CPU, PSU, System, and HDD if it's really old.

15. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I didn't say anything about the noise being related to Ozibox. I was just asking you to look at the thread. Anyway, I've tried recording the sound on my phone three times now. No luck. It's hard to describe it. It's just the normal sound any computer I've had has ever made. Most of the time, I hear only little bursts of it but it comes on pretty constantly either when the computer has been on for a really long time or if it's frozen like it was this weekend when I couldn't delete a file and it caused the whole computer to freeze, or it comes on when the memory's really high. Whenever I hear it a long time, I check the memory with task manager and it's quite high.

EDIT: The HDD is only 7/8 months old.

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's cross posting about a different issue in the very same post in the wrong thread that caused the obvious confusion. That's why cross posting is a bad idea.

Eldon likes this.
  17. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Do you know what I should check out to make this noise die down?

18. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

The fans and the hard-drive, like Eldon said.

19. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

The zipped folder of RealTemp has 4 .exes. i7TurboGT.exe, LoadTester.exe, RealTemp.exe, and RealTempGT.exe. Which one should I use/not use first?

20. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Just heard a really weird noise. Like something sputtering, letting out short bursts of air, and then dying. The other noise is still going on though.

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Why don't you just run a Hard Drive tester, and research online about how to clean a Laptop internally in case it's got trapped dust.
    As far as temperature is concerned, create a system restore point first, then run the RealTemp.exe and see what happens then.

22. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

A hard drive tester? Which one? I've got HDDScan but that takes hours.

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

24. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well, I did run HDDScan just before christmas. These were the results.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/my-hard-drives-not-looking-good.296273/

AtlBo recommended I use Hard Drive Sentinel which I have on now. It's telling me Performance:100%, Health: 100%, the hard disk status is perfect. No actions needed. Power on time about 5 months total, and an estimated >1000 days remaining lifespan.

25. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Every time when I have this noise issue and I bring up the Task Manager, it says CPU is at 100%. Every time. Of course, it then quickly slows that down to somewhere around 5%. But the minute I close it and reopen it, it's back up to 100%.

26. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I think it's as simple as something up with Firefox. I only have two windows open, but it's taking up anywhere from 11-22% of my CPU, and over 300 MB of memory.

27. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

RAM and CPU is really nothing to do with the issue you say about NOISE so best not to confuse the situation again.
    You now need to look at Real Temp results and to do a clean of the internals of the laptop, which you should search online for a guide to doing that to help you.

28. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I'll run RealTemp but I think you might be misunderstanding me. When I say noise, I don't mean noise as in NOISE, I just mean the quiet, barely noticeable sound the computer makes ALL the time on and off, but sometimes goes on constantly. It might be the fan, which is why I'm gonna run RealTemp, but if what you say about the RAM and the CPU having nothing to do with the noise is true, then how come both RAM and CPU always coincide with the noise. When the RAM and CPU are low, the computer is quiet. When the CPU is at 100%, and the RAM is over 300 MB, I get this noise. There has to be a connection there, surely.

29. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I'm not seeing anything else worth saying. So you can do those two things or not. Your choice.
    All the best with it.

30. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well I said I'm gonna run RealTemp but first ya said create a system restore point. I'm about to do that but I'm noticing under protection settings, it says Acer C System On, but Push Button Reset Off. Is that normal?

31. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No idea, maybe someone else knows. Good luck.

32. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

RealTemp says my temperature is 45C, my distance to TJ Max is 60, my minimum temperature is 45C, my maximum is 49, my thermal status is OK. Should I run a sensor test?

33. Eldon

Then it's the CPU's fan.
    What temp is that?
    CPU, HDD or Motherboard?

34. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Turns out I was wrong. I can get this noise even when the CPU isn't at 100%. I tested it by closing Firefox. The CPU went down to about 10% but the noise still continued.

No idea. This is all I see.

[​IMG]

35. Eldon

36. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sorry, don't know how to read this.

[​IMG]

The HDD and Temp1 are obvious. But what are Core 0 and Core 1? And what does each green bar represent?

37. Eldon

You need to check Automatic fan speed.
    The 2 green bars (2 cores) are the CPU usage - 32.2%.

38. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Just checked it. Was expecting something to appear when I ticked the box but nothing happened.

39. Eldon

Sorry, uncheck Automatic fan speed.
    Your screenshot shows no fan activity.
    What make of laptop do you have?
    SpeedFan.jpg

40. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

It's an Acer.

41. Eldon

Something's not right. Look at my screenshot.
    Scroll up and see if there's any warning message - there where you see End of detection.
    I think you need to take the laptop to a hardware repair shop - let them check it out.

42. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Oh no. I was really hoping you weren't gonna say something like that. I don't see any warning. You mean the fan's dead? I was afraid it might be.

43. Eldon

That's what it seems like.
    But, the CPU temp is normal. So it could just be a dead sensor.
    Before some real damage occurs, take it to a repair shop. All those noises are not good.

44. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

****, ****, and ****. Damn it. Thanks. I'll let ya know how it goes.

RealTemp has a sensor test. Might that help?

45. Eldon

It's certainly worth a try.

46. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Damn it. When I clicked on Sensor Test, first the button changed to testing, and then a window came up with a message at the bottom saying Press Start to begin a 10 minute sensor test. So I pressed Start, and a box came up that said at the top Open Prime95 - Use Small FFTs option. The box asked me to open a file called prime95, a .exe file, apparently located within the same folder I put all the files that came with RealTemp. But when I clicked Open, another box came up saying File not found. Check the filename and try again.

47. Eldon

You have to download Prime95.
    Click the button at the bottom left.

48. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Whatever mod just edited one of my posts, there is no such thing as blasphemy. Don't be silly.

49. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. Have downloaded it now and am running a "torture" test.

50. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

The test is completed but I don't know how to post the results. I thought I read there was gonna be a .txt file produced. Couldn't see it. Will I just screenshot the results from the main window?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds