My page looks right in Firefox, but not IE...

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Apr 19, 2006.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Sorry for posting this here, but I didn't get any replies after a few days in the Programming section. :p

www.csjdesign.com

Does anyone know why it doesn't look right in IE6? It looks exactly how I want it to in Mozilla Firefox...

Thanks guys.
    Cody

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I've had a look at the page in both FF and IE, and I can barely tell the difference. The only thing I see is a slight border to the left of the body in FF, which isn't there in IE. IE still looks pretty good. Is that the problem?

I've had a look at the source too. I can't see anything wrong. I know frames are a bit finickity, but the results are the same when I visit http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/u/budjordan/csj/index.html, too! They both look good!

One thing you might consider is using XML. Its the W3C standard, and should be processed the same by every browser. I only mention this casually, because as I said, I don't see a problem!

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

When I view it in IE, everything is off-center :(

4. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Looked GOOD to ME.
    (Nice AD)

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Huh?

6. askantik

askantik Sergeant

What is AD? And anyone else got any ideas?

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I think ad means advertisment. Can you post a screenshot of the problem? Nobody but you can see it! It sounds more like a problem with your installation of IE!

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

dunno, but wild guess is Advert.

I by no means know anything to do with webpage layouts for all browsers ( done it on occasion for personall use only ) but I can only think of if your using CSS style sheets then this may help
    http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmltags/ht/htdivcenter.htm

also to maybe help some of the webpage techies, which design app you using?

edit: Mada I see what he's talking about in FF, Opera etc the page is centered but in IE6/7 its justified to the left and some boardered are overlapping.

9. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I can see it on every other computer at this school with Internet Explorer, heh :p

But yeah, being that I mostly plan to do local business, it's not wouldn't really be an advertisement, and this is a stupid place to do that for Web design... Any how, on to the point...

Firefox:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/bloodclots__/firefox.gif

Internet Explorer: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/bloodclots__/IE.gif

Okay, I circled the problem on Internet Explorer...

10. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

AD:
    in Spanish | in French | in Italian
    in context | images

Adapted From: WordNet 2.0 Copyright 2003 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

ad
    A noun
    1 ad, advertisement, advertizement, advertising, advertizing, advert
    a public promotion of some product or service
    Category Tree:
    abstraction
    ╚relation
    ╚social relation
    ╚communication
    ╚message; content; subject matter; substance
    ╚promotion; publicity; promotional material; packaging
    ╚ad, advertisement, advertizement, advertising, advertizing, advert

"I currently attend the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science in Columbus, MS."
    *You don't know what "AD" is?*
    Your Web Page (and the whole site) is:
    a public promotion of some product or service=AD
    I said it was NICE.....and?
    :confused:

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try refreshing the page in IE, see if that changes it in anyway.

Steve

12. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I feel that Tony_1947 is harassing me and is insulting my intelligence with his incoherent type . :rolleyes:

----

It's a no go, matacumbie..

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

14. Goose31

Goose31 Private E-2

I'm getting the same problem askantik. :/ So it's not just you.

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhh, so I DID see the problem all along! I apologize for making this harder than it had to be!

Again, I must mention the possibility of revising in XML. This should be fairly easy depending on what editor you're using, or even by hand for that matter! It would only take the addition of a couple of tags, and maybe removing a few that are no longer supported.

I recommend you visit w3cshools, as they are a fantastic reference for all sorts of web programming.

16. askantik

askantik Sergeant

17. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I am going to check out this and see what I can find. I will post here if I get it fixed. Thanks Mada :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds