My PC keeps crashing after installing new software

Discussion in 'Software' started by shauno2, Jan 11, 2006.

1. shauno2

shauno2 Private E-2

Hi,

I was updating my version of Norton Systemworks when my computer crashed, and when I tried to restart, the fan in the power supply wouldn't even work. As far as I could see the PSU had blown. Since then I have replaced it with a higher wattage, but I'm still having problems. The system boots up but crashes either before or soon after windows has loaded up. The longer I leave the computer off, the longer it stays on before crashing. Its the same in safe mode and I've tried to uninstall Norton but it crashes during the process. I'm assuming its a software problem, any ideas?

GE Pro-M Motherboard
    80GB HDD
    1024MB Memory
    2.4Ghz CPU
    128MB Video Card
    2 x DVD Writers
    Floppy Disc Drive
    450W Tagan PSU

2. shauno2

shauno2 Private E-2

I'm running Windows XP SP2 by the way.

Also, whenever it gets as far as having loaded up windows, i get a message from Norton saying something like 'Norton does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall.'

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. shauno2

shauno2 Private E-2

Whilst I was just booting up my computer, I was taking a look inside my system to appreciate how quiet my new PSU was, when I realised the CPU fan wasn't spinning! I will be absolutely amazed if I haven't just stumbled upon the solution! I know its probably the first thing I should have checked with a problem like this but I was so distracted with the PSU and the messed up Norton installation! I just scalded myself on the heatsink so I'm going to wait for it to cool down before giving the CPU fan a good clean and reinstall it, and at worst, replace it. This should be problem solved. Thanks for your help Halo, I'm still going to need the info you found me to sort out the Norton installation!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Nice find shauno ;)

if the CPU fan has stopped, I would definatly advise getting a new fan, even if you clean that one out as it may fail at some point in the future.. once they start to go its worth replacing, they are not too expensive.. opposed to having to buy a new CPU :)

6. shauno2

shauno2 Private E-2

Well I've just found a big dense lump of dust wedged in under the fan and when I took this out, the fan started as normal on the next boot. Its looks like its fine and shouldn't need replacing as it was only the dustball that stopped it spinning. I'll just have to take more care in keeping my PC clean! Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds